cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
questionlady
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion dv9910us - network adapter stopped working

Model:  Pavilion dv9910us Entertainment PC (just noticed Control Panel>System says dv9700, why??)

Network adapter:  NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet

Device status:  This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Driver date/version:  8/1/2008   - 67.8.9.0

User hardware skill/knowledge:  Probably between beginner and moderate

At home I use wireless and at my parents I connect with a cable to their modem.  A couple of weeks ago, I could not connect at their home.  When plugged in, there is a solid green light on one side of the port and a flashing amber light on the other side.  Perhaps I didn't notice it before, but I don't think there was a flashing light before.  The day before everything had worked perfectly there.  I called their cable company who checked the modem and they said it was fine, something was wrong with my network card.  Fortunately, my wireless adapter still works, but my parents don't have WiFi and we prefer to not have it.

I searched the HP site and found a fix for the same problem on Vista 64-bit systems, but not 32-bit.

Anyone have a solution?  All help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Knute
Level 7
1,328 1,318 43 177
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The flashing light is network traffic, it's a good sign.  Have you tried connecting hardwired at a friends house?  Then we could determine if it is your laptop, or your parents ISP/Cable Modem

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• 0 Kudos
    questionlady
    6 3 0 0
    Message 3 of 6
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I tried connecting via cable to my landlords' modem and no port lights lit.  It is wireless modem that normally plugs into their computer; would this make any difference?

0 Kudos
    Knute
    Level 7
    1,328 1,318 43 177
    Message 4 of 6
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

Well you had lights at your parents and none at the landlord's.  I'd verify that you had it connected right.  Did you unplug the cable from their computer and plug it in to yours or did you only unplug the cable from the cable modem and plug it into yours?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• 0 Kudos
    Highlighted
    questionlady
    6 3 0 0
    Message 5 of 6
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

I unplugged the cable from my landlords' and connected to mine; therefore, the cable went directly from the modem to my computer.  Your question prompted me to try one more time and do something that I had not thought of previously.

I just now connected their cable to my computer again and this time there is a green light on the port, but no flashing amber light like at my parents'.  This time I reset the modem hoping that would do the trick, but it still won't connect manually.

If I go to Network and Sharing and click on "Diagnose and Repair," it shows that there is something wrong with the network adapter.  Also, in Device Manager, the NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps ethernet icon has an exclamation mark and Properties shows the device can't start with a Code 10.

BTW, I sure hope you or someone can help me get this resolved before Christmas.  The thought of getting snow-in there over the weekend with no Internet (they don't have a computer) is quite frightening!  :Crying:

0 Kudos
    Knute
    Level 7
    1,328 1,318 43 177
    Message 6 of 6
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

Have you tried Safe Mode with networking to see if you can get the network that way?

• 0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
    If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation