Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
68 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion g7 Notebook Window 8 upgrade to Windows 10

Pavilion g7 notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion g7 Notebook PC that currently has Windows 8.  This morning I received a pop up box stating windows 10 would be installed on Sunday.  I decided to not wait and selected install now.  the screen went fast and I could not get all the information other than something about download and reboot.  I dont think it dowloaded anything given that took about  1 minute.  I called Microsoft this morning and they told me hooked up to my computer and told me the laptop can be upgrade to Windows 10; however I needed to contact HP for current drivers.  I have been all over Hp site trying to find this information and can't seem to find it.  Can you help?  I do have a serial number and product # but I dont know the series.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
14028 1326 3146
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

sheilabroderick

I read your post about needing Win10 drivers and wanted to help -- but need more information.

If you can, please follow the directions in this link to find the detailed product number of your PC: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001

If that is not possible, then look for a sticker on the PC that includes the product number and post that here.  If the battery is removable, the sticker is likely to be in the battery compartment.

We can proceed once you provide the information.

Thanks

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
68 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think I found it earlier

Model/product C3Q80UAR

Does this work.

To be honest I am not sure what drivers Microsoft is asking for, are you?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
14028 1326 3146
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

sheilabroderick

Sorry for the bad news, but you should NOT have believed what Microsoft told you -- as they are obsessed with reaching the one BILLION mark in Win10 Upgrades and don't appear to care how manuy folks' PCs get trashed in the process.

The problem you're up against NOW is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality in laptops is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in laptops -- and unfortunately, there are no HP Win10 drivers for your laptop.

However, for MS-supplied drivers that aren't working well, you could consider using HP Win8 drivers -- although there's no guarantee that those drivers will work.  Here's the link to the HP Product drivers and software page for Win8 for your PC:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-g7-2200-Notebook-PC-series/5296086/model...

If that page does not show Win8x when you open it, then click CHANGE and select Windows 8x using the pulldown.

You might have to install the drivers using compatibility mode: http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
68 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well before I received your reply I had contacted Microsoft and they did  hook up to my computer and install Windows 10.  Seems to be working so far with a few minor things I cant figure out. 

1.  My sound on the task bar has a red x on it.  I double click to find a solution and it could not repair.  Before Window 10 was installed I used the HP support assistant and it installed a Synaptics Touch pad Driver, Qualcomm Atheros wireless LAN driver; however tried to install a Realtek Local Aera Network Lan Driver which fail.  After the Windows 10 install it now shows 1 update for HP ProtectSmarthard Drive Protection.  Not sure if I should install that.  I would have thought if there was a driver for sound it would have showed here.

2.  I have a wireless HP officejet Pro 8610 e-all-in-one-printer, A7F64A.  Tried to print and the option is not there to print only fax.  I do have HE ePrint, not sure what that is but that didnt work either, shows idle.   The HP Support assistant does not so any updates available.  I do see a HP Print and Scan Doctor 4.9 but was not sure I should try that?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
14028 1326 3146
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've had problems with all my HP printers and Win10 because the default stuff that MS installs does not work well with the printers.

In ALL cases, what worked was uninstalling the MS stuff, downloading and installing the Full Feature Software for Win10 for each printer. 

You should consider doing the same.

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation