Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 13 (2,198 Views)

Pavilion p6130y with Windows 7 64-bit -- Bluescreen when syncing in iTunes

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have a practically new (less than 2 months) HP Pavilion p6130y. It has 8GB of memory and is

running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It came with the matching version of Windows Vista, and a

free Windows 7 upgrade. I upgraded a few weeks ago (full install) and since then I've been

experiencing bluescreen system crashes whenever I run iTunes (version 9.0.2.25, with all the latest

updates) and sync my iPod. (I have 3 iPods/iPhones: an iPhone 3Gs 32GB, an iPod Classic 160GB, and

a first generation iPod Nano 4GB.)

I have a new computer with all the latest software and latest updates. Why is my system crashing

whenever I sync in iTunes? And, is there a patch/update that will fix this?

Thanks,
Dean Major

<text removed for privacy> 

Message Edited by WendyM on 11-22-2009 08:42 AM
Honor Student
Message 2 of 13 (2,188 Views)

Re: Pavilion p6130y with Windows 7 64-bit -- Bluescreen when syncing in iTunes

I have a similar problem, I get the dreaded Blue Screen when I print Good Quality Documents, during printing my computer shuts down - it stops printing, then I get the Blue Screen and then it beigins to Re-Boot.After it re-boots I get a message window that supposeably will search and correct the problem, but it never works. I just bought this computer (Pavilion p6130y) just 4 months ago with Windows Vista and the free Windows 7 Upgrade, but the blue screen started to come up after I installed the Windows 7 Upgrade, never had this problem before???
Honor Student
Message 3 of 13 (2,120 Views)

Hi,

I have the exact same computer and configuration that you have, and have the exact same problem as you since i upgraded to windows 7.  BSOD whenever I attempt to sync my IPod.  I have an 80 Gig old Ipod which I can restore through Itunes, but any attempt to sync it will crash the system.  I don't have the courage to connect my IPhone up to it yet!  All my drivers are updated.  Anybody have any thoughts. 

Top Student
Message 4 of 13 (2,068 Views)

Is anyone from HP Support LISTENING?
Top Student
Message 5 of 13 (2,067 Views)

NOTE: I have rolled back to a prior version of my video driver, and now iTunes freezes while syncing (instead of bluescreen). Still can't sync my iPods on a brand-new HP computer with Windows 7.
Honor Student
Message 6 of 13 (1,940 Views)

[ Edited ]

So I have a 2 day old P6270z,  64 bit win 7 prem. etc etc.  I have blue screen of death issues too.  This is not an I-Tunes related issue, but I thought it might be relevant to the blue screen issue in general.   I play online games like BF2.  I use teamspeak and xfire.  I also like to upload photos to Kodak Gallery online.  The first blue screen came after I installed a Kodak uploader  program that claimed to be compatible.  Then, after calling the hp techs I was told that all blue screens come from either camera drivers/software or printer drivers/software.  Obviously, that guy didn't know what he was talking about.  Yes I am sure there are going to be many incompatibilities and either the software will have to update to Win 7 or we won't be able to use it.  So, I did my first system recovery from the recovery partition and reloaded the above mentioned programs, minus the Kodak one and no printer.  Then during a game of bf2, it had a stroke and went all Bluey again.  This time after an hour conversation I let the guy talk me into sending it back and letting the techs check it out.  I know this is pointless, but on the chance it will fix maybe it will be worth it.  I am planning on returning it within the 30 day grace period and I verified that I could still do so after I get it back from hp.  I am pretty sure it is going to be rough on some of us who want to continue using some of the games and programs we are used to.  I would understand if these went back to win 2000 or 98 even, but these programs worked in vista just fine and xp as well.  Very frustrating.  I had a laptop from hp before this and it had a fatal crash about 1 month after the year warranty expired.  It was plugged into an UPS and sys recovery/restore/format with another operating sys/ every possible thing , it is still dead.  They refused to do anything about it.  1200 for 1 year of life.  I might should have known  better than to buy again, but I had this hp account and I figured maybe this one would be good.  I will post in a couple weeks when I get the repaired pc and let you all know if I get the same problems.

Top Student
Message 7 of 13 (1,886 Views)

After several emails back-and-forth with HP Support (mostly suggesting common sense things that I had already tried), they did come through with a fix for my problem. It came in the form of a Windows 7 Hotfix related to this KB article:

“You encounter problems when you move data over USB from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset and at least 4GB of RAM”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

I am a happy iTuneser once again. It's only been two days, so I guess this could still be a false positive, but it seems to be working.

Student
Message 8 of 13 (1,751 Views)

[ Edited ]

Badfish wrote:

After several emails back-and-forth with HP Support (mostly suggesting common sense things that I had already tried), they did come through with a fix for my problem. It came in the form of a Windows 7 Hotfix related to this KB article:

“You encounter problems when you move data over USB from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset and at least 4GB of RAM”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

I am a happy iTuneser once again. It's only been two days, so I guess this could still be a false positive, but it seems to be working.

i would like to thank you for posting this response for i have been struggling with the same exact issue as you had for about a month now. hopefully this will work for me.  Seeing that you had it longer i was wondering how it worked for you so far? thanks again.

Honor Student
Message 9 of 13 (1,661 Views)

badfish - How did you determine that you had the NVIDIA usb chipset?.  I'm having the same issue, but if I don;t have that chipset, the hotfix most likely won;t do me any good.  So, I'd like to determine that beforehand.

Thank you.

(oh, if HP is monitoring this, my pc is an HP P6115Y, w/ 8G memory & Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.)

Wes Struebing

PhD Student
Message 10 of 13 (1,649 Views)

[ Edited ]

westrueb, yes you have an NVIDIA chipset system

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01817974

According to the link, this system has an integrated graphics onboard and it's NVIDIA GeForce 9100 so it's an NVIDIA chipset.

Install the patch if you have Windows 7.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation