cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post

Pavillion DV6700 will not start, no BIOS screen just black

HP Recommended

Pavillion DV6700 will not start, no BIOS screen just black.
I powered down the machine yesterday (Shut Down) and now this morning the computer will not boot.
When I try to boot the machine the BIOS screen does not appear, the HD light flickers on but then stays off. All other lights on the machine are on as normal. The fan kicks in within 30 seconds and sounds like it's running at maximum revs.
I did a hard reset and  reseated the HD and the RAM and replaced the RTC battery without fixing the issue.
I will disassemble the unit and make sure the fan is not clogged, in the meantime does anyone have any thoughts ?
TIA
ArferGuinness

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,410 41,657 4,554 11,996
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended
You don't need to disassemble the laptop to check for obstructions\dust bunnies etc.

Use a can of PC compressed air at the intake and exhaust ports on the bottom of your PC to clean it.

Try removing the hard disk and pressing start. What happens?
Does the BIOS give you an error message?

You can perform the same test with RAM by using one module at a time to see if a failed RAM module is causing your notebook not to start.

Best regards,
erico

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi erico,

Thank you for your reply. I removed the HD and pressed start all the normal lights but no error message.

Similarly I did the same with both RAM modules same results but I did get 4 beeps when I removed them both..........so something is working somewhere 🙂

Do you have any other thoughts ?

TIA

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Four beeps - graphics controller not functional

Three beeps - faulty RAM module

Take a read of this HP document. Count the LED flashes as the notebook starts (or attempts to) up.

Best regards,

erico

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi erico,

There are no flashes or beeps when I try to start the machine. 

The machine just has a black screen with all the normal lights on except the HD light which as I said flashes briefly then goes off.

I only got the 4 beeps when I'd removed all the RAM and hit the start button.

2013-01-18 13.03.31.jpg2013-01-18 13.03.48.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I asked a mod to approve your images so I can view them.

What do the images show?

I am not an HP Employee.

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

erico, thanks very much for all the time and trouble !! Really,really appreciate it.

The pix show the computer as it appears after pressing the power button and shows all lights that come on

Thanks once again 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When you did the hard reset was the battery removed?

I am not an HP Employee.

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi erico,yes the battery was removed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you connect an external display to your notebook's video output port do you see any video?

Best regards,

erico

I am not an HP Employee.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation