Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 16 (22,767 Views)

Pavillion Laptop dv6000

My laptop won't show video, it wont POST, it wont even access the hard drive, but it makes sounds like it is trying to start.

I get no video even with an external monitor.

Can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
Tutor
Message 2 of 16 (22,640 Views)

Re: Pavillion Laptop dv6000

i am having a similar problem, mine beeps on startup (one long beep and two short beeps) indicating possibly a video problem. the service rep said to unplug it and take out the battery and hold the power button down for a minute to discharge any excess power. this didnt help me but is simple and worth trying. another trick is to try resetting CMOS, open up the memory part of the laptop and pull out the small round battery (located under the RAM) for a few seconds and plug it back in. (didnt work for me either) check to see if your laptop is still under warrenty before going to a repair shop.
Teacher
Message 3 of 16 (22,563 Views)

I can't believe they told you to do a Hard Reset and pull out / reset the RTC battery. Beep codes are specific problem identifiers, and tell the technician or user exactly where the problem is. I'l address that below. While Phoexix BIOS beep codes do include an HR and RTC reset, the fact is that Phoenix codes are 4 beep codes, not 3 - you indicated that you had 1 long and 2 short. It's likely that you've got an AWARD BIOS and not a Phoenix BIOS.

1 Long / 2 Short - Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information.

Follow the troubleshooting steps in the link below:

POST TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS - CH000607 

Primarily of the Ancient School -Training by HP, NASA, & the U.S. Submarine Force

HP Pavilion HDX 9300 64-bit Dragon, Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz | 8gb DDR2 RAM | 512MB 8800M GTS
Vista Ult. 64 | Linksys Dual-Band N Network | DriveSavers Agent | Wiki Answers Supervisor

"Professional Techs don't ask for Kudos or Points"

Teacher
Message 4 of 16 (22,563 Views)

[ Edited ]

Harman, even though your system won't boot, it may have LED error codes that you may not have even realized. As MFG so rantly posted, the Dv6000, like the 2000 and 9000 series, has had a lot of problems. However, when HP has repaired it, the systems generally don't fail again unless there's some help from the user. So don't think everything that happened to him will happen to you.

The page for the Dv6000 LWSE is at this link: HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement Dv2000/6000/9000 Series Notebook PC's

Check your Product # against the list for your model series (the numbers are on the label under you system on the left side). If it's on the list, call the number on the page, not the main HP support number. I found a Dv6449 system user who posted here yesterday whose PN is on the list. I've had one client myself with the problem who was on the list - they sent him a Fedex box, and he got it back within 3 days.

LED codes - When your system boots, it may show flashing LED's. They're not just for show or part of the problem - their are specific LED's and flash patterns to indicate specific problems. Note if yours has any after attempting to boot, and check them against these codes:

LED                                            Component        Error Condition

Blinking battery power LED           Battery              Insufficient charge on the battery

Blink: 1 - Caps Lock/Num Lock     CPU                  CPU not functional

Blink: 2 - Caps Lock/Num Lock     BIOS                 BIOS corruption failure

Blink: 3 - Caps Lock/Num Lock     Memory             Module error not functional

Blink: 4 - Caps Lock/Num Lock     Graphics           Graphics controller not functional

Blink: 5 - Caps Lock/Num Lock     System board    General system board failure

Blink: 6 - Caps Lock/Num Lock     BIOS                 BIOS authentication failure

Primarily of the Ancient School -Training by HP, NASA, & the U.S. Submarine Force

HP Pavilion HDX 9300 64-bit Dragon, Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz | 8gb DDR2 RAM | 512MB 8800M GTS
Vista Ult. 64 | Linksys Dual-Band N Network | DriveSavers Agent | Wiki Answers Supervisor

"Professional Techs don't ask for Kudos or Points"

Tutor
Message 5 of 16 (22,511 Views)

yeah I have a junk hp laptop too and I will never buy one again
Honor Student
Message 6 of 16 (22,062 Views)

Lost the wireless function a couple of months back (also a problem according to another tread on the forum), and today turned it on, it gave 3 loud bleeps, and a black screen, I know the hardrive is working, as I typed in my password, and the windows logon sound started, and I was able to navigate to turn it off again, I have turned it on and off several times, and still the black screen, I have emailed HP but am waiting for a reply, as I am not sure if this can be fixed and if so how long will it take, any ideas?????

On reading through the forum the DV6000 series has several faults all leading to the motherboard, and many are saying that the wireless function goes first and then this happens, so it is not just mine.

Student
Message 7 of 16 (20,329 Views)

The beeps Indicate my laptop has a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information.

What is the next step?

Student
Message 8 of 16 (18,609 Views)

[ Edited ]

CyberVisions wrote:

Harman, even though your system won't boot, it may have LED error codes that you may not have even realized. As MFG so rantly posted, the Dv6000, like the 2000 and 9000 series, has had a lot of problems. However, when HP has repaired it, the systems generally don't fail again unless there's some help from the user. So don't think everything that happened to him will happen to you.

The page for the Dv6000 LWSE is at this link: HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement Dv2000/6000/9000 Series Notebook PC's

Check your Product # against the list for your model series (the numbers are on the label under you system on the left side). If it's on the list, call the number on the page, not the main HP support number. I found a Dv6449 system user who posted here yesterday whose PN is on the list. I've had one client myself with the problem who was on the list - they sent him a Fedex box, and he got it back within 3 days.

LED codes - When your system boots, it may show flashing LED's. They're not just for show or part of the problem - their are specific LED's and flash patterns to indicate specific problems. Note if yours has any after attempting to boot, and check them against these codes:

LED                                            Component        Error Condition

Blinking battery power LED           Battery              Insufficient charge on the battery

Blink: 1 - Caps Lock/Num Lock     CPU                  CPU not functional

Blink: 2 - Caps Lock/Num Lock     BIOS                 BIOS corruption failure

Blink: 3 - Caps Lock/Num Lock     Memory             Module error not functional

Blink: 4 - Caps Lock/Num Lock     Graphics           Graphics controller not functional

Blink: 5 - Caps Lock/Num Lock     System board    General system board failure

Blink: 6 - Caps Lock/Num Lock     BIOS                 BIOS authentication failure

my laptop is 6730s

if i have this one :" Blink: 5 - Caps" what should i do ?§ thnx

Student
Message 9 of 16 (18,484 Views)

Say Goodby to your DV6000.

It is a video chipset failure and it will fail again even if it is repaired by HP service. That's what happened to me.

Student
Message 10 of 16 (12,958 Views)

Thank you much CyberVisions for your info very helpful

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation