Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
matkramer Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavillion Sleekbook 15 memory upgrade not working

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a 4G upgrade for my Pavillion Sleekbook 15, which currently has one 4G module already installed. The memory was purchased from Crucial:

CT4059590

• Brand: Crucial
  • Form Factor: SODIMM
  • Total Capacity: 4GB
  • Specs: DDR3L PC3L-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3L-1600 • 1.35V •
  • Series: Crucial

When I install the new module (side note: lots of disassembly for a memory upgrade!) and reassemble, the additional 4G is not recognized. I went in again and swapped the positions of the modules, and it still booted fine but only 4G is recognized.

Are there any additional settings I need to change to recognize the memory? Is there anything else I may be doing wrong?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17328 897 2514
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @matkramer, and welcome to the HP Forums!

I would be happy to help you with the added memory for your Pavillion Sleekbook 15. I understand you added an additional 4G but the computer is not recognizing it. Please use the following document to troubleshoot the issue, and also let me know what you discover when you check the how much memory can be added: Upgrading Memory (RAM).

You will notice in this document: 

NOTE:

The memory in some notebook models cannot be replaced or upgraded.

Thus, please be sure to let me know if and how much can be added when you check the Support Assistant in your response. Thanks.  

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
matkramer Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. According the HP documentation, the laptop should support two 4GB modules to give a total 8 GB. I am running Windows 10 64-bit.

Here is more information:

Labeling on original 4GB module:

• Samsung 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L – 12800S – 11 – 10 – F3
  • M471B5273CH0-YK0

Labeling on new Crucial 4GB module

• Crucial 4GB DDR3L – 1600 SODIMM 1.35V CL11
  • CT51264BF160BJM8FP

HP Laptop Product Number

• D8X43UA#ABA

HP Service Manual description of memory

• Description Spare part number
  • 4 GB (DDR3-1600 MHz, PC3-12800) 641369-005
  • 2 GB (DDR3-1600 MHz, PC3-12800) 652972-005
  • Two SODIMM memory module slots
  • Customer accessible and upgradeable
  • DDR3L-1600-MHz Dual channel support
  • DDR3-1333-MHz Dual channel support (DDR3L-1600 downgraded to DDR3-1333)
  • Supports up to 8192-MB of system RAM in the following configurations:
  • ● 8192-MB (4096-MB×2)
  • ● 6144-MB (4096-MB×1 + 2048-MB×1)
  • ● 4096-MB (4096-MB×1 or 2048-MB×2)
  • ● 2048-MB (2048-MB×1) 

HP Diagnostics output:

• Device Locator: Bottom Slot 2 (under)
  • Manufacturer:
  • Serial Number: 00000000
  • Part Number: CT51264BF160BJ.M8F
  • Memory Size: 4096 MB
  • Memory Speed: 1333 MHz
  • Memory Type: DDR3
  • Type Detail: Synchronous

Based on this last output, it seems maybe the new Crucial module is being recognized but the original is not? Are they compatible? (I used the Crucial website assistant to help find a compatible module.)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17328 897 2514
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @matkramer

Thanks for the details. Have you tried installing only the Crucial 4GB DDR3L to see if the computer recognizes and works with it alone? This would be a good way to determine of the issue is compatibility related or not. Try using them together but switching the slots they are in to see which on is recognized when in different slots, this would help identify if the issue is a slot.

Perhaps the issue is that although the Crucial is compatible with the notebook, the Crucial and the Samsung 4GB cannot work simultaneously. 

Let me know the outcome of your efforts and we can proceed from there. Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation