Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Beats by dre HP protect smart

HELP, I need the power on password for my laptop. It was working fine but I haven't turned on in months and now I'm locked out. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

At the password screen, hit enter 3 times and you should receive a 'halt code' - post back with this code.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Gave me

system disabled

27723EF8

thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your notebook is producing a hexadecimal halt code which is stored in ram as a 'one off' and will be re-calculated after a reboot.  This indicates you have one of the later AMI bios's and unfortunately none of the current code generators will work for this - surprisingly, you can still remove a power on password from the machine by removing the rtc cell ( leave the power board connected ) then hold down the power button for 60 seconds before re-inserting the rtc.

If you'd like a link to the Maintenance and Service guide to help locate the rtc, post back with the full Model No. or Product No. of your notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I would love the link and thank you! 

HP Recommended

How do I find the product info.. under the battery?

HP Recommended

Hi,

It will most likely be under the battery - see Option 4 on the following link.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

P/N G6R14UA#ABA

MODEL 15-p030nr

HP Recommended

Hi,

The procedure for removing the rtc starts on Page 117 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Unfortunately it looks like the rtc is on the 'wrong' side of the system board so will require quite a lot of disassembly.

Once you've removed the rtc, ( leave the power board connected ) remember to hold down the power button for 60 seconds before re-inserting the rtc.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.