cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Primary hard disk self test doesn't complete

HP Recommended
HP G61 Notebook
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)
Windows 7 won't start so have been looking at various tests, I'm not an expert in anything tech wise. I have tried safe mode , doesn't work , tried a few restore test, no joy and I read somewhere to try start up tests, memory test ok but primary hard disk self test won't complete, it's stops at 73% and I've tried it a few times now. Please help
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,914 42,702 6,834 11,950
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You need a new hard drive. 

Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Ok, is there any way to save my data as I have not been
able to access my compute at all
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Ok, is there any way to save my data as I have not been
able to access my compute at all
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,914 42,702 6,834 11,950
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Probably it can still be recovered but stop trying to boot from the hard drive. The more you try to use it the more data become inaccessible. Get that hard drive out of the laptop and replace it with a new one and get a usb to SATA adapter to attache the old drive externally and try to recover files off of it. 

Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thank you, I will try this
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation