Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Recommended
Hey, just wondering, I managed to take care of most of my problems by turning off the onboard wifi and using an external usb wifi and by mostly turning off the tone control when needed. Sometimes, the treble/bass osd still comes up (i just turn off tone control in task manager when that happens), so I'm just thinking about using msconfig to keep HP Tone Control from starting on Startup in the first place. I'm wondering, though, all these problems brought my bass and treble thingy down to somewhere above the midpoint and I really just gave up on trying to push it back up (without resorting to taking the computer apart, etc. etc.) and I'm wondering if that actually had any effect on my audio. No matter what happens with the osd tone control, my IDT tones stay consistent (well, they're always staying at zero because of the whole "idt tones and enhancements not working at all thing" but that's different, i guess, and i haven't seen much about it). I'm not sure if it's really changing or not, I use headphones and the bass still sounds fairly good on them. Just want to make sure all is ok with my audio.
HP Recommended

Disabling the Tone Control in msconfig works well and many people have done it.

To disable the volume OSD, disable the Media Smart Smart Menu in msconfig or uninstall it in programs and features. Disabling it or uninstalling it will also kill the Media Smart pop-up button as well as the program for that is in the menu.

You are the first one to comment that the bass and treble controls don't really seem to do anything and they don't seem to on my machine either.

If you were to disable or uninstall the IDT audio and the NVIDIA high definition audio, the bass and treble controls may take over. I have never tried this and you may do so at your own risk, I have found from experimenting with the sound options that I have lost the ability to have any sound at all. It got to the point where I had to reinstall the OS.  :Surprise:

If you want some control over how the music sounds, the the IDT audio has it's own little equalizer in its own control panel. You can pin this to the task bar.

HP Recommended
Ok, thanks. Yeah, I'm not going to even bother with disabling and uninstalling IDT and Nvidia just to see if the OSD Tone Control does anything. Too much trouble, haha. Though, on my IDT, the equalizer, tone control and enhancements do not work at all, and if I turn on the enhancements, the sound doesn't work until I disable and re-enable IDT and turn off the enhancements. It started happening a couple years back after a driver update. The tone controls for IDT always stay at zero even if I change them and push OK. I'm not really bothered too much, since my headphones already have a very nice bass, but it'd be nice if it did work. Not sure if I should reinstall the driver or not, or if that'll just be more trouble than it's worth.
HP Recommended

Well if you're happy with things, the it's best to leave it alone. If you want to pursue it, there are things you can do to revert back to where you were, like creating a Windows restore point.

My IDT equalizer works, with the laptop speakers anyway.

Here is my driver version : 6.10.6381.0 and it's dated 1/4/2012.

I went and got it myself, I never let Windows update my drivers.

HP Recommended
Actually, I think it was an HP update that caused it. Driver number is 6.10.6269.0, which is the same number as the "latest" one on the HP drivers download page, while the Audio Control Panel's number is 1.0.6269.0 I really didn't know if it was ok to download a new driver that wasn't available on HP's driver download page or not. Is there a link to get a new driver for the audio?
HP Recommended

I just installed this driver and it works for me.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-drivers-software-forum/404164-drivers-hp-dv6-2xxx-dv7-3xxx-dv8-hd...

Scroll down a bit and it's driver 6.10.6388.0

It is an HP driver and in my case because I am running a retail version I had to unpack the install file first to manually install it.

I always save it to the desk top and install it from there, never from a temporary folder.

It's a good idea to uninstall you old one first rather then installing the new one over top of your present one.

I run CCleaners registry cleaner ounce the old one is removed and I  run it as many times as necessary until it finds nothing  and then restart.

HP Recommended

Guys,

There's another problem that actually worries me:

When these lapses occur with the wifi and sound going on/off, the CPU fan goes crazy.

Have it happen to you guys that the lights go red and dim (both) ?

The fan is slow at this time.

But when it comes back to normal (Blue and white buttons), the CPU fan goes crazy again..

Also, and above all, I'm in the winter, 97% on SystemIdleProccess, and the fan is also on high speed, with good flow of air below the PC. Sometimes it is using a little more of CPU when does that, but still excessive speed seems to be going on...

On other hand,

Sometimes the AC adaptor is really hot, and the CPU fan is really slow...

I've made a poor insulation with Black tape and Aluminium foil... The problem is less frequent, but still observed.

But what matters here is the behavior.

The link between the static on that control bar, and the CPU fan.

Somebody can explain it ?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Specifically the Volume mute button (above keyboard) flickers red and sometimes turns bright red. An onscreen slider indication randomly and wildly adjusts the volume very rapidly until the button is pressed several times. The internet button turns red frequently and the wireless internet drops at intervals from 0 seconds to 30 minutes. Also, wireless internet seems to cutout without the indicator changing from blue to red; the symptom is the browser seems to freeze for 10 to 15 seconds at a time.

HP Recommended

I thought that I solved this a few times. It came back recently and I noticed the heat on the upper left side of the keyboard. I elevatedthe back of the laptop about 3/4 inch to get better airflow. It works okay now.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.