Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi I have the same problem but it is to do the Volume control. Furthermore, all my DVD touch control buttons do not work either and I am not sure if the MediaSmart button that has a symbol "~" is supposed to do anything when touched. Basically I bought the computer with Wndows 7 Home already installed and I proceeded to install my own copy of Windows 7 ultimate. I checked prior to the installation of my version to make sure that the basic softwae & dirvers are on the Hard Drive and I found a directory by the name of  swSetup and I made a copy of it just in case that the upgrade to Ultimate would wipe out all and sundry! i installed everthing I could find under drivers after the successfull upgrade to Ultimate but the only things that are not working are the volume touch contrals and the DVD controls as explained above. Your seem to have some deep knowledge of HP (I have always bought DELL but they just refused to come up with an 18" display!)

HP Recommended

I thought I would also add that I am experiencing the same probem.  Not good for over a grand worth of kit.

Should I even bother with tech support or send replacement as there does not seem to be a definitive answer

HP Recommended

One more user with the problem! I asked for a refund, no way, older than 21 days.  No more HP's for me! I have over 15 Dells in our printing company and have never ever seen an issue like this. I did install the Codec patch and it helped but isn't perfect, start there first.

HP Recommended

add me to the list.....will work thru the solutions......WILL NEVER BUY HP AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

went thru every single solution on this board last night......turned on the computer this am and within 10 miutes lost my internet connection. Went into the properties of the wireless adapter (intel centrino advanced N 6200 - AGN) and under the power management tab unchecked the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Thus far so good. Also looking at purchasing a usb wireless adapter if this latest solution fails as this problem seems to get much worse with time.

Will keep the board posted.

GLTA

HP Recommended

I have recieved a comprehensive reply from HP about this issue (see below) and so fa so good.  The treble and bass slide buttons are working perfectly and the wireless has not been switching itself.  I carried out all the instructions to the letter in the right order so hope that this may help out someone else.

HP advice

1. Release the Static Charge (flea power):

A 'Flea Power' is recommended for removal of electrostatic charge. Sometimes static charge gets accumulated in the sensitive circuitry causing faulty functioning.

1. Shut down the system and disconnect all the external devices connected to the PC.
2. Disconnect the AC power from the wall outlet. Remove the battery from its compartment.
3. Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds continuously.
4. Now put back the battery & reconnect it to the AC power wall outlet.

2. Reset the BIOS to default settings:

1. Turn off the notebook PC
2. Press and hold the F10 key and thenturn on the notebook PC
3. Release the F10 key when you see the HP logo. This will take you to the BIOS screen.
4. Press F9 and the Enter key to reset the BIOS to default settings.
5. Press F10 and the Enter key to save the changes and exit the BIOS settings.

3. Update the System BIOS:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-84660-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

4. Update HP Quick Launch Buttons
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-84862-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

5. Perform a sound card driver update.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-85714-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...=

Hope this works for you.  When i installed the final sound card driver update this then fixed the problem.

HP Recommended

just open msconfig and set it not to boot on startup. that way you don't have to kill it every time 

HP Recommended

deactivating the tone-panel have been working for me for 2 months and counting. i have not seen anything to the annoying bar. :generic:
instructions can be found in my previous post on page 5   

HP Recommended

I bought my dv8 Dec 2009.  I first started having the treble/bass bar problem/wireless shutting off in June 2010.

I was very intermittant until about 3 weeks ago.  I called tech support again and they wanted me to send it in to repair/replace keyboard.  I got it back last week and exactly one week after it returned, the problem was back again.  Called tech support and of course they act like they have never heard of this problem and wanted to reformat my drive. Yuck, not an acceptable solution to me at this time.  I then found this post and will try shutting off the tone controls.  All they want to do is sell me another 2 years of warranty.  My complaint is they haven't fixed what is wrong with my computer now that is under the original warranty.  What a rip off.  Too bad I really LOVE this computer except for this whacky treble/bass bar that pops up randomly.  Here is another problem I have had and was wondering if anyone else has had it.  I have the fingerprint reader set up for log in.  When waking up my computer from hibernation sometimes it will not recognize the fingerprint reader and I have to go to the password login.  The wierd thing is when I start to type in my password, the cursor keeps resetting to the beginning of the word and the only way i can get the password in correctly is to type it in backwards.   last letter first, .........first letter last because of the cursor hopping back to the beginning after every letter i type in.  Oh well, I will try turning off tone to hellp with the treble bar. Hope it works.  Only 9 days left on my warranty.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Opening up the laptop and removing the ribbon cable that connects to the touch-sensitive bar disables the bar and makes it so wireless doesn't shut off and on anymore.  Just make sure that wireless is currently ON when you unplug the ribbon cable.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.