Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am also awaiting the pics. Are you refering to copper foil shielding tape? I also have the problem when I press above the F9 button and I am anxious to give your fix a try!

HP Recommended

Hey everyone

I will be tearing my dv8 all apart to put in a different processor, so I will take some pictures of the area where Brian is talking about this evening.

Brian can have a look later and confirm that this is the correct area.

HP Recommended

Copper is the best foil tape for shielding but you can use aluminum as well. I used a cheap aluminum foil tape as a test and it worked well.

You also need something to insulate the ribbon cable connector that is on the LED board. That is the part on the LED board just above the F9 key when the computer is assembled. Cover the metal ends of the ribbon connector with kapton tape before you apply any of the conductive foil tape.

HP Recommended

I believe the area in red is where Brian is talking about where to place the Kapton and then the copper tape to shield the connections.

100_0534.JPG

HP Recommended

You are correct, that is the exposed connector that needs kapton.

When you add foil shielding to the ribbon cable, wrap almost up to the connector that you are covering with kapton but do not extend the other end as far. The other end plugs into the motherboard and the ribbon cable gets close to some exposed pads.

The pics are great.

Thanks,

Brian

HP Recommended

Add one more to the list of frustrated HP owners.

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that we have to pull apart a 2,000 high end laptop to fix something like this ourselves?

Where is HP's response - do they even monitor these forums?

I have been a loyal HP customer for years, but I'm losing confidence in these products.

HP Recommended

Hello Brian,

I have read over your repair and have a question.  I am trying to determine which type of copper foil tape to purchase if I decide to try this repair on my onw.  Is it the non-conductive or conductive copper foil tape?

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

Here is a thread with some places to get the correct foil tape:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Display-and-video/On-Screen-Volume-Treble-amp-Bass-Display-Error/td-p/3...

You should use the tape that has conductive adhesive but either should work.

I will post more info soon.

HP Recommended

I didn't know they made a product with conductive adhesive. I wonder if the aluminum stuff that HP uses is that way.

I was folding it over so it would make contact and adding more tape so it would stay in place.

HP Recommended

Yes, they have different types of adhesive that are electrically conductive. I am actually in the middle of designing a conductive elastomer(silicone) interposer (contactor) for an IC test socket line. Its neat what you can do with some materials.

I actually used the non-conductive cheap Home Depot stuff as a trial and it is still working great so either type of adhesive should work.

I did forget to mention that I lifted up an edge of the existing foil and slid the new foil tape under it to help make good contact. Good minds think alike...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.