Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just recovered my PC for the second time this week. Last week I did it three times with my other PC. Both are Pavilion 17 laptops.   My Chrome in both cases kept freezing. Then when I restarted the computer the log in window wouldn’t come up. I had to do a recovery to get it working again. The only thing that appears to be different is the new Microsoft Edge. I have an idea that it is interfering with my Chrome. Does anyone else have this problem? Should I uninstall the edge or has Chrome got a new problem. I am thinking of letting the Care package people help me with this. I have the Care package for my newer computer and Smart Friend for the other. However, if anyone else has had this problem and managed to fix it let me know.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @sbodea43

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are having issues with the chrome browser.

I’d love to help!

I recommend you to uninstall Google Chrome and restart the computer. Once the computer restarts install Google Chrome again and check if it helps.

Here is how it is done.

1. On your computer, close all Chrome windows and tabs.
  2. Click the Start menu Start menu and then Settings.
  3. Click System.
  4. On the left, click Apps & features.
  5. Find and click Google Chrome.
  6. Click Uninstall.
  7. Confirm by clicking Uninstall.
  8. To delete your profile information, like bookmarks and history, check "Also delete your browsing data."
  9. Click Uninstall.

To install Chrome for your user account:

1. Download the installer file.
  2. If prompted, click Run or Save.
  3. If you chose Save, double-click the installer file to start the installation process.

Let me know how it goes and you have a good day ahead.

If the information I've provided was helpful, please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That option doesn't show up on Settings for Windows 10.  Window settings.jpg

HP Recommended

I tried to take a screen shot of settings to show that the option Apps and features is not on there.  I have Windows 10. I took a screen shot but for some reason it wouldn't let me post it after I attached it on here.  

HP Recommended

Hi @sbodea43

Thank you for posting back.

I really appreciate your time and efforts.

I see from the screenshot you have attached, there is settings icon, you need to click on it and then go to Apps & features.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If the information I've provided was helpful, please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had to contact my Care Package help when I couldn't even get past the sign in sheet as it wouldn't let me type in my password.  They did a check on my keyboard and it failed.  So, I have to send my newer computer in. I had already removed Chrome from my older computer. However, I still think Microsoft Edge is causing the problem with Chrome because it is a new app that came with the windows 10 update.  So, I want to know if others have found that problem and if so, maybe I should contact HP to have them check Edge to see if I should remove it. 

HP Recommended

Hi @sbodea43

Thank you for posting back.

There is no issue with Microsoft Edge, I am also using Windows 10 on my computer and I have no issue using Edge and Chrome.

Once you get your computer back from repair check if everything works fine.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Keep me posted and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am using my older pavilion right now and I don't have Chrome on it as I removed it when I did a recovery. I don't like Edge. It jumps around and the font changes too.  I would like to get rid of Edge but am concerned it may affect some other Microsoft program since it came with Windows 10.  Anyway I will try to use the Chrome on my newer computer and if necessary have someone from my Care package get on it.  Thanks for your responses.

HP Recommended

@sbodea43

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he's out for the day 

And I'll be glad to help you out.

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service,

I don't like being the bearer of bad news but duty calls and I'm afraid there's no option to uninstall\delete Microsoft edge,

What you could do as an alternative is you can use either internet explorer or chrome by making it has the default browser instead,
see the steps below to make IE as default browser, therefore removing edge from being used as default:

1. Open internet explorer and go to settings icon.
  2. Click on internet settings.
  3. Then click on programs.
  4. Then click on the option make “internet explorer the default browser”.

Hope this information was helpful and let us know if you need further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.