Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 5 (1,582 Views)

Problems with new HP Envy 17" : Keyboard, Bios recovery, shut down

Hi,

I have bought a HP Envy 17" 3 weeks ago.

Product no. A2Q40EA#UUW.

After setup I updated OS from Windows 7 Home Premium to Win 7 Pro right away, so I don't know if the same would have happened with the original OS.

Keep having a couple of problems.

1. The keyboard keeps skipping letters when I type.

2. Several times the machine wouldn't start. The start button is lit and TAB is blinking. When I keep turning it on and off, a BIOS recovery will run and then it works fine again.

3. Twice the computer simply shut down without warning.

I have downloaded and installed all drivers from the HP support page.

Anybody out there who knows what's wrong?

Thanks.

Carola

0 Kudos
Dean
Message 2 of 5 (1,552 Views)

Re: Problems with new HP Envy 17" : Keyboard, Bios recovery, shut down

[ Edited ]

If you can return it to place of purchase for a full refund or a replacement in a sealed factory box, I think you got a bad one.

HP warranty is a real pain to deal with, return it to place of purchase if you can.

Grad Student
Message 3 of 5 (1,544 Views)

here is some trouble shooting links for your system.. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=36371&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&d... you mentioned you had blinking lights when it boots up.. this will give you some things to look at
Top Student
Message 4 of 5 (1,535 Views)

Hello Mumbodog - thank you, that's just what I'll have to do. Smiley Frustrated

Top Student
Message 5 of 5 (1,534 Views)

Hello icp_wolverine. Thanks for the link. It confirmed my suspicion: 1 blink of CAPS LOCK means something wrong with the CPU. Gonna send it to HP for repair. Smiley Sad

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation