cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
techniker Tutor
Tutor
18 15 1 2
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Quality Control!!!!

HP zBook Studio G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was excited to finally get my zBook Studio G3 after a long wait. I was excited because this machine was a great fit for me and I've been without a laptop to use for my business work for about 2 months.

I previously bought a Microsoft Surface Book (Core i7 / 16 RAM / 512GB SSD) but returned it because after 2 weeks it starting having serious hardware issues. It took days fighing with MS because 30 days had passed when I tried to process the return even though I created to support cases about hardware issues within the 30 days. Long story short, I got my money back. What a joke.

Getting back on track here....What my issue with my zBook Studio G3 is this. I put the box on my office desk, cut the tape, opened the box, pulled out the laptop wrapped in it's tamper proof sticker sealed plastic bag and placed it ontop of the box. I carefully cut the tamperproof sticker and put my hand inside the bag underneath the laptop and slid it out. That's when my eyebrows arched. IT WAS COVERED IN FINGERPRINTS AND SMUDGES!! The real shocker was when I actually lifted the top to reveal the screen and keyboard! The screen looked as if it was CLEANED WITH A DIRTY RAG!!! There were spots on the keyboard keys and every more fingerprints all over the speaker grills and all around the screen. Was this device a return or a refurb?

Now that I think about it.....My previous post about the Intel ME firmware update killing these laptops....maybe my laptop was one of these that got bricked and sent back to HP. They changed the board, re-imaged the SDD and threw it in a new bag and box. I guess the person that worked on the laptop didn't believe in wearing gloves or using proper cleaning products. I'm going to open the bottom plate so I can look at the motherboard and see if there are any signs of tampering. Maybe they stripped or over/under torqued a screw. I want to know why I received such a filthy NEW device!!???

Oh, BTW....In my previous post about the 2 dead laptop from firmware updates....one of the laptops HAD a over torqued screw and the threads where destroyed. I noticed this when I put my torx screw driver on the screw and there was no tension on it. I thought it wasn't tightened so I tried to carefully tighten the screw to see how much out was loose......the screwdriver just kept turning. The threads were completely stripped.

WHERE IS THE QUALITY CONTROL???

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Intern
Intern
23 20 2 3
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Quality Control!!!!

"WHERE IS THE QUALITY CONTROL???"

I don't know, but certainly not at HP.  Maybe at Dell, but then, I'm sure there are people who'd disagree.

I highly recommend you return that thing within the return period.  I regret not returning my EliteBook 725 G3 ($1200 junk!) within the return period.  It came misassembled (display LCD module not wired in properly) and other flaws, but I dealt with it.  But the HP wouldn't leave it be and released a BIOS update that caused further problems.  At least I'm pretty sure mine was brand new, as it was probably one of the first to be manufactured.  It was shipped straight from China.

Subpar components (trackpad button is weird on mine), bad assembly, and lousy firmware/software support.  Can they do any worse?

Actually, the Elite support guys were quite good.  Well, at least the guys who helped on my second call.  First call?  Completely useless.

Anyway return it and don't look back!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
56 53 0 7
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Quality Control!!!!

I've been buying HP notebooks for a while now... 8510w, 8440w, 8570w, ZBook 15/14/15G2/14G, and now Studio G3.

(Probably about 80 over the past 5 years.)

As far as 'out of the box' quality... I've seen scratched cases, bent pieces, keys sticking up, fingerprints, dislodged components... mainly with the 8570w's and early Zbooks. The Zbook studio G3's seem to be arriving without any blemishes or damage... I feel these kinds of defects are occuring less often lately. 

Most of the models have however had issues with waking up and melting down, burning out system boards, random crapping out, etc. I think the 8570w was one of the better ones so far. I babied mine and the systemboard failed just out of warranty... but the rest of the team here beat the crap out of theirs.. dropping them, spilling things in them, etc. and most of them lived to their retirement age.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation