Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
AllHingesOnThis Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Question about HP goodwill on left hinge of Envy TS 15 Notebook

Envy TS
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good afternoon,

I have owned my HP Envy TS 15 Notebook for 2 and 1/2 years and kept it in good condition throughout. Today I closed the screen and went off to a farm park with the wife and kids. When we got back I opened 'er up and the left hinge seemed to prize open the side of the laptop by half an inch or so. I noticed also that the hinge itself was sunken well beyond what the right hand one is and that a loose piece of black plastic (sickle-shape down one half and straight albeit jagged from being broken down the other with dried glue on the back) was coming free - roughly 1 inch long by 1/3 wide.

I have now looked up and read an alarming amount of articles and forum posts about the same issue - seemingly inferior quality of hinges in your laptops. Lots of questions have been raised about recalls and customer care measures but I have not come across any answers from HP.

My warranty is expired but my feeling is that a limit of 2 1/2 years careful use of an £800 laptop is unpalatable. My insurers will not pay out for 'wear and tear' (which I do not believe this to be in the first place), nor will they pay for a manufacturers fault (my inclination from what I have read). This is not accidental damage so I am vetoed in that department too.

I also contacted PC World who have offered to assess the damage (for a £50 fee) whereupon I will be charged more money for the repair/parts, or (in the very unlikely event, as they are the body who sold me the machine) they may refund the assessment fee and fix free of charge in accordance with the Sale of Goods Act.

HP - can you please help me in this matter? The laptop has been ace so far; this is my first HP purchase and my lifetime customer loyalty hinges (ha) on the resolution of this issue. I suppose what I'm saying is, if I pay £300-£2000 on one of your laptops and can expect it to last anywhere between 6 months and 2 years before the hinge(s) break and you choose not to rectify the situation then I would have no choice but to opt for another manufacturer in the future and encourage others to do likewise. I hope you appreciate my frankness. £800 is a lot of money for me - not something I can afford to conjure up on a 6, 12, 18 or 24 month basis :(

I await your esteemed guidance.

Thanks and all the best,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Retired Duane_D
Retired
4641 3156 51 154
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Duane - thank you for getting back to me so quickly. It is much appreciated.

My thanks also to Jeff who PM'd me as you described.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Forums, below is the response I received from a British representative and my reply to him...

Hi Paul,

Thank you for getting back to me. I had raised a question about goodwill relating to your products (the left hinge breaking prematurely seems to be a universal and extremely frequent fault). You can find my query here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Question-about-HP-goodwill-on-l...

Perhaps the relevant details were not passed on to you as your response does not seem to flow in accordance with my question (you will note that I have openly mentioned not being within warranty).

I have copy and pasted your reply to my forum thread as I would like a holistic trail of any end result (hopefully satisfaction and continued custom, rather than dissatisfaction and switching manufacturers!) .

All the best,

Jonathan

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 06 May 2016 12:30
To: #############@HOTMAIL.COM
Subject: HP Support [ ref:_00DG0h8qk._50027k0Lqd:ref ]

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for contacting HP.

We are sorry to hear that you have experienced issues obtaining support for your HP Product.

After reviewing your unit details, we can see your warranty expired and is no longer eligible for free technical support.

We can offer you an out of warranty support service, If you would like a no obligation quote, please call 0207 161 0596 between Monday to Friday 08:30AM – 18:00PM.

Please be advised you may still be able to obtain limited support from our website http://support.hp.com or the HP forum http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/supportforums.html

Should you require assistance with any other matter in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Paul
HP Support

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation