cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
brian220x
Level 4
89 88 0 20
Message 11 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Question about Pavilion dv8 Wireless issue

It is hard to tell but your problem may be related to what Spike mentioned. The problem is that the LED will change color regrdless of why the wifi isnt connected.

The touch button issue that most of the DV8 laptops suffer from is a random actuation of the volume/mute/wifi. Most of the time it will malfunction just by pressing the mute touch button.

I dont know much about the DV7 so I am not sure what else to offer.

0 Kudos
cb007cb
6 6 0 0
Message 12 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This guy knows the solution however why should customers have to pay for a fix that was hp design fault? {Content Removed: no legal discussion permitted} All the dv8 1100 had this problem.Buy a $1400 laptop and have all this grief.HP should show a little more class and have a recall on this laptop.This laptop is a great unit with the exception of this problem. 

0 Kudos
cb007cb
6 6 0 0
Message 13 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brian you have the answer but why do we have to go to all this trouble when HP should have done a recall on the dv8 1100 which had this design fault??????

0 Kudos
cb007cb
6 6 0 0
Message 14 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brian you have the answer yet hp still do no recall on their defect unit.Why?This issue has been a total mess for all dv8 users who spent a fortune on this unit yet HP does not do a recall!!!They will loose a lot of business over this issue.

0 Kudos
brian220x
Level 4
89 88 0 20
Message 15 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since it is not a safety concern or a court ordered recall, HP has no incentive to invest in a solution. They discontinued this laptop.

0 Kudos
greggignac
1 1 0 0
Message 16 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Brian,

I would be very interested in the kit you are proposing. My wireless barely stays on anymore so this computer is quickly turning into a paper weight. BTW what city are you in? Want to make a few bucks?

I guess I will be joining the long list of people who will never be buying  an HP laptop again.

0 Kudos
mck3125
3 3 0 0
Message 17 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for finding a solution and sharing. Your fix works without question. I am now approaching 2 months error free. Again, thank you.

Perhaps to help backup brian220x theory about static for the skeptic I have the following correlation. No not real scientific I realize but in my mind it supports…

I purchased the LT in ~April 2010 and started having trouble around October 2010, winter time, even for Florida, where it gets into dry conditions, creating a lot of static. I tried the available fixes for the supposed software problems but could not resolve. In Jan of 2011, with shame and defeat I contacted HP support. They ran me through their prescribed fix (same thing I’d already had done) again still had the problem.

Rolling into Florida summer and support contact to expire... I gave up as the symptoms seemed to lessen a bit and turned my attention to the router and internal Wi-Fi networking card. There was some speculation various power saving options and code differences between Intel and d-link cold be the culprit. While six other devices worked without issue I tried two other brand router devices. Still the HP LT WiFi bounced off and on.

In November of 2011, cold and dry the issue started presenting itself seemingly worse. I rediscovered this post and the subsequent others including the how-to video and supplies list and set out to fix my LT.  It’s fixed as I said in the beginning for nearly 2 months using the Kapton Tape and foil tape because I already had the latter. Again, a big thank you to brian220x and HaggisCat1 who put together the how-to YouTube video…

Here is a link to the list of supplies and video links.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/dv8-and-HDX-Series-OSD-Pop-Up-Solution/td-p/816295

0 Kudos
feveretts
1 1 0 0
Message 18 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried both uninstalling the wireless assistant and the control pannel. it was still happening. I was getting pretty upset $1800.00 custom computer. i did the next step and tapped the wire down under the keyboard and it is working fine. The only other thing i had to do unrelated to this problem was to change the bluray when it stopped working. Just went to a dvd writer for about $30.00. Here are the sites i went to to fix the wireless problem. The web sight to see what you are looking for is (sleeplessnerd.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-fix -pavilion) Then the web sight that shows how to take the keyboard off is (www.insidemylaptop.com/take-apart-hp-pavilion-dv8-laptop) Now I am just a truck driver and i did this in about 25 min and I'm using it now it's like a new computer Good Luck

0 Kudos
cescolar
5 5 0 0
Message 19 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
Elix545
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 20 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The final soluction is a Firmware update: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-96360-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

With this update the touchpad is more slowly and working without flashing and blinking any more.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation