cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 2
Message 1 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Elite Book 8540w Windows 7 or Windows 10?

Hi

I'm running windows 10 on a 8540w.  It seems to run reliably, but with no deidicated HP drivers i have had to cobble together a selection.  These are my findings. Please add to the list. 

I am using version 8.0.3.1345 of HP Protect Tools Security Manager to enable the finger print log-in.  with Validity Sensors Inc driver 2.3.0.0.  This now works as pre boot protection along with bit defender for drive encryption.  but is a bit clunky with the log in screens.  Sometimes after boot swipe it loads directly to desktop other times it will ask for fingerprint or pasword then after swipe need a windows login button to be hit. 

Video drivers for NVIDIA work, i cant recall if i have looked for an updated version of these, but it recognises as the correct 880 I seem to recall installing an older version that someone had found worked with windows 8. V 8.02 for the control panel rings a bell but i dont have a record from a forum but i dont have a record.  The graphics driver currently running is 9.18.13.4174 dated 29/06/2015. 

Sound and networking seem to work ok and if not those drivers are easy to find. 

the buttons at the top work to some extent with HP quick launch 6.5.10.1 - Except the mute button not changing colour.  

The ambient light sensor is someting i havent tried to get working but would be handy. 

Webcam works ok. 

I have no way of testing the sim card slot but the SD slot works.  There are three unknown devices on device manager. 

But overall i wouldnt go back to 7 it runs fast with an SSD, and has done so for about a month now.  16gb ram quad core  i7 880FX.  This is my main machine and is in use daily connected to a USB displaylink dock with additonal screen. 

34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 957 2,202
Message 2 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @DaveDave1,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

It is very appreciated when people come together and share such a detailed post on things they like and their findings. It is very rare and very very helpful.

Have a great Weekend.

Thanks for sharing.:smileyhappy:

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 2
Message 3 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ftp://15.216.111.13/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48408.exe

is one of the unidentified items, it is the smart drive guard.  The other two were some software to use an iphone as a camera so removed those. 

Highlighted
Level 6
720 699 9 58
Message 4 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the HP  web site does not tell you that they support windows 10... on this IRON. so  that means you are on your own.

what works.?

and what not... redux..  (have four 40w/p  (2 each type, to test) (going on long vacation, soon)

all 4  LT are on W10 now.

First lets do DM, device manager. (even clean install works)

all works, there, cept MS forgot my Ricoh SD card reader, the HP win 7  verson loads and works. per hp support pages.

This "forum" , listed driver w7, (not the secret one)  HP security package does not load or work.

but the SP72998 version 8.3.16.2035 (secret) does, if you patch the shortcutpinning.sp1 script.

see my other posts on how. (i was taught here.)

Nor  will Softqaq) work,

softpaq (sure it cant work it just a smart engine to load, drivers that don't exist ...  haha ?) show me one w10 driver?

see w10 here?(  not yet)

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=4097215&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4060

My sons  win8.1 loaded system,  with 38 Steam(tm) games, all  upgraded,  like a swiss watch, 

if running drive encryption, or other deep security(hp) id not up grade to 10...

for sure that needs to be disabled first. go naked, then upgrade.

best is to revert the system to no secuirty options software running.

then update or do a fresh install of w10. (the latter means you can't un-install live under w10)

all ports on the HP work, usb,  usb3, my ssd runs blindingly fast, the 2  external display ports work.

all work,  i did not test fire wire. nor will ever need it.

in truth, only the HP  secure package does not work (w7)and the spec sheet tells you that.

but the new one does, after patching one bug. (takes 1min to do) (but is no bug, not really)

search for "shortcutpinning.ps1"

and not only that, the data sheet on the secret file, shows, don't support this laptop,. but does support w10...

seen here.  (read the support list)

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72501-73000/sp72998.html

see our machine missing? (but it can work)

secret file name: SP72998.ext

good luck and have fun, Cheers.!

post what you want to work or ask me to test your idea of some features?

PS: MS clearly states that there new SETTINGS APP. is not really done. it's replacing control panel (inch by inch)

so don't expect it to work like a full blown real working OS.  it does not. , not yet.

it's 1/2 baked.

in fact win 10 is the never a fully  baked OS, it needs daily UPDATES.. endless....

claimed the last OS?  see that ?

PNP,  Plug and pray , never did work, unless super lucky.   (in most cases it takes hard work)

The HP (this LT) is feature rich, (high end LT) and im very happy that it works as good as it does. on w10

in fact, blissful...

the patch for 72998 is  posted here

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HP-Client-Security-Manager-Error...

I am not HP, and I am fully retired since 2009 from this industry. older than dirt,
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
720 699 9 58
Message 5 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

if running and SSD, (to poster mentioning it)

most folks are now.?

drive guard is useless.(ssd only systems)

it is a g-force early detection device to save HDD heads. (parks heads when dropped)

we dont have heads now....  in SSD.

buy and SSD and move forward, fast..

I am not HP, and I am fully retired since 2009 from this industry. older than dirt,
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 6 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Everything runs on Windows10 except for logon with fingerprint reader with the account microsoft, Microsoft Hello does not appear in list.

Does it work for you ?

Do you see Microsoft Hello in the list of connect options in parameters ?

(validity sensor 4.5.133.020 June 2014 and 4.0.15.0 Rev. TO March 18, 2010)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
720 699 9 58
Message 7 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

windows build? 10586?

settings app.

"Select the Start Start iconbutton, then select Settings  > Accounts > Sign-in options to set up Windows Hello. Under Windows Hello , you’ll see options for face, fingerprint, or iris if your PC has a fingerprint reader or a camera that supports it. Once you’re set up, you’ll be able to sign in with a quick swipe or glance.

"

as you can see , at this time windows does not supprt HP , unique security options.

windows 10 is really a beta operating system.  (1/2 baked)

it does not support all hardware, from all makers of say laptops, in the last 10 years, not even 5 years.

they warned us of that during the install.

and to install it, see if you like it and if not?, uninstall it.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-prepare-your-pc-windows-10-upgrade

Logins.

on mine , running the HP security client v8 ( 9-25-15. release) v8.3.16.2035 ?

i can swipe my finger

use a pass word

and use the new 3 questions test (setup during HP install)

i can use 1 or all.  via choice in the HP client.

or nothing at all.

or go lower,  i can secure BIOS so it or boots are dead. until I swipe.

what more do you need? 

read this off MS main page

" Windows Hello now, and more devices that can recognize your face and iris are coming soon."

see that coming soon warning?

soon might even include, voice recognising..    ???   I like the finger swipe best and use that.

PS. running HP CSM, SP72998.exe i am.

and last ,what  does "MS Soon" (time)? mean,  human years or dog years?

and many people don't like the idea of any device that shines , light or energy in the the eyeball. (me too.)

(ask banks, about that...  they learned it first)

but mug shot login's  sure... that be fun.

but the camera on this HP is an option. (all mine are unplugged)

PSS: drive guard on mine fails too (only on upgrades), but its useless on any SSD. so..... ignore it,

why run a spinning HDD , today...??? the clone software to run SSD free (ask).

any one seeing an up grade to this , please do post here. thanks

HP security client v8 ( 9-25-15. release) v8.3.16.2035 ?

kudos to all, who help.

PS2:

I have not tested any MS cloud, store, or sync features, (ill never use them )

If this is important to you, then you my be very unhappy with this W10 (load).

ever note that MS has no supported system lists , now?

qualified systems lists, like days of old?

they are doing this the squeaky wheel way,  so tell them.... you are not happy.

Level 4
88 86 3 9
Message 8 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Driveguard is still very useful, even if you get an SSD, a lot of people keep the primary HDD for storage, e.g. putting the SSD in the optical drive bay.

Cheers

Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

windows build? 10586?

= version 1511 10586.36

settings app.

"Select the Start Start iconbutton, then select Settings  > Accounts > Sign-in options to set up Windows Hello. Under Windows Hello , you’ll see options for face, fingerprint, or iris if your PC has a fingerprint reader or a camera that supports it. Once you’re set up, you’ll be able to sign in with a quick swipe or glance.

= parametres/comptes/options de connexion = exiger une connexion|mot de passe|code PIN| Mot de passe image|... = NO Windows Hello for me at all !!!

I have seen in microsoft forum that some guy completely reinstalled windows10 from ISO to solve problem. Is it th only one solution !!!

But My HP 8540w is my only one PC, I can't stop to work several days only because HP and Microsoft are not able to setup their PC and OS in a clean method in the correct state of the art !!!

<<as you can see , at this time windows does not supprt HP , unique security options.

windows 10 is really a beta operating system.  (1/2 baked)

it does not support all hardware, from all makers of say laptops, in the last 10 years, not even 5 years...>>

= how many years do we have to wait for a clean windows10 version ?

I am not an Insider, I have just moved to W10 because MS have enforced me to do that.

I was only interested by Edge because IE is too dirty.

So, now I came back to local account (from/no more MS account)

And every thing is perfect for fingerprint,

Just do not use MS apps which want you to go back to MS account  more than 50000 times a day.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
720 699 9 58
Message 10 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"how many years do we have to wait for a clean windows10 version ?"

as stated in MS main page, its ENDLESS now.  (i's the LAST WINDOWS) catch that key phrase.)

Hey ,some are waiting still for xp clean builds....

LOL!

"I am not an Insider, I have just moved to W10 because MS have enforced me to do that."

it's just a teaser that w10 prompt, not ENFORCED at all.   (you do know every person sees that right? on all w7and up systems.

MS does not know what systems it runs on, not at all. (you get to tell them,,,,! )

"I was only interested by Edge because IE is too dirty."  IE is dirty.

Edge is an APP.

run Fire fox, with the vast number of add-ons,,  windows is trying to copy FF. see?  we've had this for years.

The EDGE will soon have lots of add-on;s (a promise) (yes w10 is beta , see?)

"So, now I came back to local account (from/no more MS account)"

And every thing is perfect for fingerprint,

Just do not use MS apps which want you to go back to MS account  more than 50000 times a day.

same here, no MS accounts before, now or forever.  (i dont need to be spoon fed like apple customers)

I see the cloud (old skydrive now onedrive) was down yesterday, (overloaded)
why trust private data to any cloud..... ?

if wanting to get windows 10 under control;
use this
O&O,  no spy.
shut it all down.
mine is, now, and runs like w7,  clean and everything works (non, cloud stuff)

MS pushes w10,  (so they can make money on apps, store etc)
they dont care at all the many persons waste their time with a product that will not work on their plateform.
some folks have systems made in 2005 running windows 10 (2009 OS) and guess what?,  win10 may not work.

and worse, MS cares not all all , that the maker of there System, does not support W10.
Did that stop MS from putting UPgrade to W10 now, in your task bar, (NO!)
MS does not run HP.
see?
if you decide to drop HP support (we did) ,then get MS to help you..... it's best.

again, the HP page shows ZERO w10 support. (as of now) (the future is unknown, by me.... sure)
as do many makers of systems..

i run this.  (best in class)

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation