cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 6
720 699 9 58
Message 31 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Elite Book 8540w Windows 7 or Windows 10?

there is no HP media kit for W10

this LT

yes some drivers work (my key drivers on on 6 of these LT) (security HP package is DOA on w10, )

HP does not support w10,  it will not cure MS upgrades that mess up this PC, it will not (my best guess, MS update fails)

Some will fail with  fresh load w10 due to very strick MS< new, signed certificate rules , super strick this mod of install

w7 to w10 direct upgade relaxes above rule. 

I am not HP, and I am fully retired since 2009 from this industry. older than dirt,
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
720 699 9 58
Message 32 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

sorry for double posting

ok fixed.

I am not HP, and I am fully retired since 2009 from this industry. older than dirt,
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
720 699 9 58
Message 33 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

now PNP 101:

lets discuss, PNP or better Window 10 update

the update will use some HP drivers,  but not apps.

it has 3 dynamic pathes  under update, and will get many wrong. if you think it all out....

1: get the right HP driver,  for w10 , only some work. most dont. as HP told you !!!

2: get the wrong one. w7 at HP,  oops.

3: just prays what's now loaded is ok, (nope , it's not)

see that ? see that simple logic.

that is how all full MS OS updates work

and is 2 tiers deep.

1: windows 10, upate, tier 1.

2: then W10 loads, and then reboots an then windows, UPDATE service, tries to correct the red ink in device manager.

and will fail. (or drivers are ok (pure luck),but all old HP apps, and stuff, will fail, and do)

This is a moving target, if HP updates a 1 driver, you get 1 less error.

oh, btw2,  MS will not try to update the HP secuity package. (my tests)

if the owner of the Laptop, knows his/her stuff?

you can in fact find most the red inked drivers.  from MS, HP or from the chip maker. that is now failing.

If using the secuity features, if Hp they will bad, or cause horrible problems.

lost data.

or can't log in.

to make this work, read how to w10 secuirty package loaded, there is one, for w10.

I have it and at least the finger swipe works,

hello is not ever ever going to be used by me,  i dont allow MS to market me. ever. (too old and too savvy)

there are APPS sold besides MS. so.... I don't need MS. never did , never will,  I'm mostly a Linux guy...

but as all Linux guys know, some major apps need MS, or Apple.

my most fav. app is.

google this string

o&o  shutup 10

works like a charm..... zero spy....

is sent them big cash for such a fine app.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
720 699 9 58
Message 34 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the last w10 update

killed dead my HP security package.

i expected it.

it also messed up the login screens , 

Im thinking MS HELLO did this, (they promised to make it work but,, is messing around  here)

0 Kudos
Level 6
720 699 9 58
Message 35 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

my comment is not misleading

the software is  huge bundle of features, drivers and apps,  not some simple bit of code.

or see W10 loads and mouse works,.... and does Solitare.

some pieces are w10 certifiedd!!! yes, i can read specs. and do, carefully ! before trying it..

but not all,  is this hard to understand, facts?

the 8540 bundle is not certified,w10

period

nor is the app that loads them al l (SOFTPAQ),  certified from w10. (the smart loader script,also part of bundle ,and KEY to it)

and the security package now fights,  windows updates, and crashes, wiin 10 logonUI code. Feb 2017

im runing w10 now,but only things, that really work. and are CERTIFIED.

YMMV, your monster may vary,

this pc does not fully support windows 10 , learn to read the offical page, see,.  w10 is not listed

yes, some of the pieces are. 

no the security software is not supported, but can be hacked  (scripts) to see if it works

yes mine did work for a while, (just the finger reader for sure id not try the encrption of hdd using this , while hacked,)

so it worked until the last MS, windows 10 update.  and the finger reader died, (i had 2 other ways in)

I think the HELLO code MS upgraded killed this.... (suspensions)

so there you go, if HP does not support W10 (as it does w7)

that also means, not listen clearly?

HP is not curing proplems that MS causes with updates (8540),  sorry it's not going to happen unless HP SAYS  SO.!

That also means, omg , when MS mutates w10  to w11,   how will HP software work then.? ( epic failures, sure)

is this confusing? ??? 

That being said, I have 6 running w10 now, with only base drivers working and not any HP apps.

I only need the upper key controls working (hp driver) .

WIN10 support, if you can't understand that means.

All things delevered new (DAY1 W7) , works on w10, (no it does not)!

and means

ALL future windows 10 updates do  not kill your system or any part of it. (i take the risk here)

do know that if you commute w7 to 10 ,  that if not happy after the 30 days,  say the next update fails.

you are out of luck,.,,  you get to buy w7 from HP. media kit and start over,...

NO HP MEDIA kit now,  oops. 

clear?

know too, that W10 now has way tighter, signed certificate rules. (read up at MS)

(upgrades grandfathered ok sure,,,) lulling you into , (come in the waters fine, ?) (upgrades are lax)

but not fresh loads of W10 (clean and fresh, sorry HP has no such kit here, only MS)

W10  fresh loads (MS media)

it loves to fail for older drivers, now for sure w7 only drivers, not revised with w10 ceritificates.  oops....

If HP changes there stance here, 3 cheers, but i'd bet not.. 

again many of the smaller bits , do support w10, 

No lie some of the drivers here do work w10, for sure... but not all.

known dead, w10

HP security managers , et al. (why buy an expensive Elitebook then not use this part?  ) sure got mine for near dirt cheap.

HP SOFTPAQ (the thing that loads all w7 drivers and apps , a few clicks only) (like Red hat Linux does for years)

and more.

that is my full report, as it stands now, HP is in the drivers seat not me, ever.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation