Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My problem is similar. It's a dv6. Stopped working and won't boot up. On startup light on cap lock blinks and F12 light on solid. Removed any periferals. Removed battery and power cable. Held power button for 15 seconds. Restored power and got the same result. Also tried the same thing and pressing F2 sever times on power up with same results. Any ideas ?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

" under @akaroot

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP laptop and it does not boot into Windows. The laptop powers on and the caps lock light blinks and the f12 light is steady. You have performed a hard reset and the issue persists. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Did any hardware changes take place on the laptop?
  • Did a BIOS update happen?

I suggest you to observe and let me know the caps lock light blinking pattern. Please refer to "BIOS flashing light error codes for computers released after April 2015" under "LEDs near Caps Lock and Number Lock keys blink when starting the notebook" from this link. Also, you may try to reseat the memory as shown in this link.

I hope this helps. Let me know the results. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

computer info:

SN:  [personal information removed]

Product code: WV812AV

Model : DV6Z-3100

I observed the caps lock blinking light. It's coninuous every 3 seconds.

Removed power, battery and back panel and reseated memory. Same issue.

HP Recommended

There have been no hardware changes. Almost forgot, there was a suspicous red update screen a couple days ago. Unfortunately didn't think anything at the time other than it struck me that it was different than previous update screens. It did it's thing and 2 days later the laptop is dead. Can't say they are connected.

HP Recommended

@akaroot

Thanks for the information. I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.

Does the caps lock light blink in this pattern - 1 blink per second?

Meanwhile, you may try to perform a BIOS rollback, this will fix any corrupt BIOS update and can also fix if the existing BIOS is corrupt. 

If the issue persists then you may have to reach out to our HP phone support to explore the hardware service options of your laptop. 

Cheers!

HP Recommended

It's blinking about once every 3 seconds.  If this could be interpretted, that might be of some help.  Tried the

Windows logo key and the B key 

Windows logo key and the V  key

with out success.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.