Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Marg44 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Primary (internal battery) 601 very low how to correct this

This morning after having power on all evening I unplugged laptop to take it to another room and it closed down.

Replugged it in to power and I have received a message for that primary internal battery (601) is low and might need a new battery.

When it turned back on via charger via electricity power  icon says   "38% availabe (plugged in, not charging)".

When I unplug power computer totally closes down.  Won't open.

Computer about 18 monhs old.

Marg44

0 Kudos
1 REPLY
Retired
Retired
2840 184 354
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Primary (internal battery) 601 very low how to correct this

Hi @Marg44

First and foremost, I want to welcome you to the HP Support Forums! Here at the forums, you have many community members that will help you toward a solution. If my reply resolves your issue or answer your question(s), please click the Accept as Solution button to allow others to find the solution. 

Generally speaking, if "Primary (internal) Battery (601)" appears in an alert message, it means the measured storage capacity of the primary battery is less than 25% of the original storage capacity. The number “601” denotes the associated error code that is recorded in the system log.

The best way to check and see if the Battery error is accurate would be to update the Notebook's BIOS and then test the battery again using the Battery Test in the System Diagnostics (F2) environment. Here are the steps for the HP System Diagnostic Battery Test from the Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 7) document: 

To access the HP System Diagnostics Battery Test:

• Unplug the power cord and turn off the computer.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.
  • Immediately press the Esc key and press it repeatedly while the computer starts.
  • The Start Up menu opens.
  • Press F2 to select F2 System Diagnostics.
  • Click Battery Test from the list of Hardware Diagnostic options.
  • Plug in the power cord (if not already done).
  • Click Start Battery Test.

When the test is complete, the first line of the Battery Test page displays the status or condition of the battery. 

If you need to Calibrate the battery, please follow the steps in the Calibrating the battery manually section. 

Please try the troubleshooting above and let me know the answers to the questions asked above. Could you also please provide me with your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?) and Which Windows Operating Systems you are running.

To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! Smiley Happy

I hope this helps! 

Thanks for joining the HP Support Community!

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation