cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JJoldStuff Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Update to Windows10 ver 1607 is not completed

Just wanted to add my story, similar to above.  Product# F3F15UA#ABA, 10" Pavilion notebook.  Win 10 Anniversary Edition update will not install. Machine gets to 32% and then locks up completely; grey blank screen. Have to unplug and remove battery to shut down.   After powering back, automaticaly recovered to previous version of Win 10 (1511).  Machine now almost unusable since it spends all day re-downloading the update files and then doing an automatic update reboot every evening. This has happened 4 times already; now keeping it in airplane mode.  Was on MS Assure service for hours.  2nd  tier guy said to just wait for MS to come out with a revised version of the update.

Tried installing MS registry update fix (MSI) issued 10/5, but did not fix the problem.

I have a completely clean machine, all drivers up-to-date, nothing installed except Office 365 and 7-Zip.  Installed Win 10 1511 as a complete replacement (OS and all apps) a few months ago and performance improved tremendously.  Except for this update problem, after the OS replacement PC works very well (for a slow, under-memory PC).  I mainly use it to take to meetings to give PowerPoint presentations, for which it works just fine.  I never do email with it or download apps.

Above reply suggests updating from a USB after a image backup.  Can try that to see if I get a better result, but wonder if it would be better to skip "update" and, instead, just do a compelete OS and app replacement like I did a few months ago.

Mike

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
18,950 16,893 1,575 3,731
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Update to Windows10 ver 1607 is not completed

JJoldStuff

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

In my case, what worked regarding the Anniversary Update was doing a Repair-Install, inserting the USB stick with the install media, and running that INSIDE Win10.  That took a while (about an hour), but it worked.

That's what I would try, first -- as it's nondestructive.

But if that does not work, then a clean-install is likely the ONLY thing that will work.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation