Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Darryl3 Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Windows update Downloading Wont start

My computor keeps doing the same thing. I keep getting notices RE: updates but when I try to download, it stays at 0%. Did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Retired
Retired
2785 2657 144 329
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Darryl3,

Welcome to HP Forums!

I came across your post of Windows Updates stuck at 0%, and wanted to help.

I found this post from Microsoft may help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/w8-windows-update-stuck-at-0-tried...

Let me know if it helps.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
68 63 1 2
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hello,

type windowsupdate toubleshooter in your browser.

this is a good first thing to try! good luck!

0 Kudos
Darryl3 Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have not found a sollution that works yet.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
68 63 1 2
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

what windows operating system are you running?

have you recently tried to move fron windows 8 to 8.1 to windows 10?

when you are selecting u[dates to install: are you doing only 1 to 3 at a time?

0 Kudos
Darryl3 Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am using Window 7.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
68 63 1 2
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i hope to be helpful:

i typed in the forum search box " windows 7 update troubleshooter"

and found a few replies.

good luck!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
15467 15412 1439 3422
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Darryl3

Regarding Windows Update appearing to NOT work in Windows 7 ...

I continue to support a bunch of Win7 PCs, some of which were rolled back from Win10 because the owners disliked Win10 so much.

But, I have noticed that recently, Windows Update has been performing really slowly on ALL these machines.

The symptoms are that it searches for HOURS -- and does not appear to make any progress!

OR .. it finds stuff, but then goes into downloading for HOURS ... and does not appear to make any progress!

Anyway,  check for a Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads\ folder.  This is where Windows Updates stores the updates it downloads and its working files.  IF it exists, Windows Update is working -- even though you see no progress.  Over time, the folder will grow until all the Updates have been downloaded.  Then, it will shrink as the Updates get applied.  When done, Windows should remove it. If it does not, you can remove the contents of that folder, but do not remove the folder itself.

And yes ... updates are taking hours (or days!) when they used to take only a few minutes. So basically, there is nothing wrong with your PC.  

And -- if you RESET it, you are only going to make matters worse as that will start the Update process from scratch, and the last time I did that, it took three full days (!) to find, download, and apply all the updates.

NOTE: If waiting doesn't work, then try running this repair utility:  http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windowsupdatefixer.html

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
58 58 2 10
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Darryl3,

First of all you should stop your Windows Update Service at services then delete all files under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and restart your computer.

After restart please uninstall your antivirus for temporarily and Start your Windows Update Service at services and try again to start Windows Update.

Thanks,

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post if you want to say "Thanks!"
Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel that my post solved your issue.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation