cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Ronanegan Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter failing, followed by irql_not_less_or_equal (8.1)

HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Windows 8.1

3 month old HP notebook (8.1) suddenly stopped connecting to wifi shortly after buying (multiple sources, tablet and phone both connect fine). I have tried system restore, reinstalling windows deleting and reinstalling the driver but the problem persists. I get about two weeks of normal function before I am forced to wipe my laptop clean again and frequently have to perform a system restore in order to connect to the internet. 

The problem appears to be linked to automatic updates but since I can only put them off for so long the problem persists. I have tried uninstalling updates in order to pinpoint which ones may be causing the probllem.

I have noticed this appears to be common with HP laptops.. the basic error message is "there is a problem with wireless adaptor" and later on "hardware changes may have been detected". But like I say I can no longer perform a troubleshoot without blue screen appearing. The laptop works fine on ethernet (network cable unplugged appears alongside wifi errors) but considering I rarely have access to ethernet at university this isnt a fix for me. 

In the beginning I could diagnose (and even fix) the problem with windows troubleshooter but now I am faced with either the problem persisting (could not be fixed error) or more frequently, as of late, the irql_not_less_or_equal (rlt.sys) blue screen appearing halfway through the process. The problem appears to be getting worse.

Also system restore or reinstalling no longer fixes the problem immediately. I have noticed that I lose audio following loss of wifi and in the past have lost the ability to perform a system restore/refresh altogether. This makes me think it may be a hardware issue?

I have searched and installed new drivers (and then rolled back/uninstalled via device manager) in an attempt to fix the problem but it hasnt as of yet and I was forced to fully wipe my laptop again (second time in three weeks). Prior to my last reinstall (7/01 one before that was on the 20/12) I performed a cmd system scan which found several corrupt files which couldnt be fixed. 

I am no longer sure what to do to fix the issue as both reinstalling and restore no longer seem to work. I have tried clean boot and safe mode, BIOS update, running system scan on CMD, and uninstalling certain programmes (mcafee). 

Is there anything further I can do? I still have the receipt and it is still under warrantly under 10/2015. 

Thank you,

Ronan 

18 REPLIES 18
Provost Provost
Provost
105466 96017 14827 22810
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter failing, followed by irql_not_less_or_equal (8.1)

Hi:

You can try this driver and if it doesn't fix the issue, then it is probably hardware related.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_147415_1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Ronanegan Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok Ive tried that. Thank you

0 Kudos
theodora69320 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The link that you provided just takes me to the HP Support website, so it seems to be outdated.

Could you please tell me an updated link? My computer seems to be having the same issue.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
105466 96017 14827 22810
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the link to the latest driver for that card, and it is a newer driver than on the link that doesn't work.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_147415_1

0 Kudos
Ronanegan Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Failing that, you could do what I had to do and buy a plug in USB Wifi adaptor. 

0 Kudos
theodora69320 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the help!  

I might just buy the adapter because the driver software is unresponsive.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
105466 96017 14827 22810
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you have one of the HP 15 models that is easy to get to the wireless card, and there are two antenna leads attached to the card, you can just replace the internal card with a better one of your choosing.

If your notebook has an Intel processor, you can replace the RTL card with any one you want, such as an Intel 7260 dual band N or AC card.

If it has an AMD processor, I would suggest replacing it with a Broadcom dual band N or AC wireless card.

An Intel wireless card won't work in an AMD notebook.

HP removed the BIOS restrictions on unsupported wireless cards in the last year to 15 months or so.

0 Kudos
MKL_ Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 1
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have issue with RTL8723BE used in HP Pavilion 15 on Windows 10 Home (driver version 2023.15.701.2015).

Sometimes WiFi ask me for Username and Password when WEP key is ussed as authentication on router. When it asks for authentication key, it says it's wrong key (it works on tablet, cell and other laptop). After 1000 atempts of connection it works.

I used second USB adapter in that case.

AngelVera Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my new Envy 15 360. Also, when I open my lap and start from suspend mode, sometimes the wifi icon shows a red X and and can't detect any signal. 

one week ago when I restarted the laptop, a black window with a message about a problem with the Realtek PCIe controller appear. That was the second time.

I already talk with hp support and said that is a problem with Windows 10 and the "solution" is installing windows 8.1 again.

completely absurd for a company that invites and encourages to install Windows 10.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation