Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
christinejarvis Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Reboot hp stream 11 with a black screen

I tried to reset my hp stream 11 and tried to do recovery mode and when it asked me am I sure I wanted to restore it I said no. So now when ever I turn on my laptop it just goes to the hp logo in the screen and then the screen just turns blank. And now I am wondering if there's any way I can restore it or if I can take the battery out and put it back in. If anyone has figured it out could you let me know it would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
Professor
Professor
1571 133 297
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There have been many of these type of boot problems posted for the Stream laptops, below are some possible solutions. 

If you cannot restore from the recovery partition by pressing F11 while powering up, you can restore from a recovery USB by booting it.  If you did not create the recovery USB, it can be ordered from HP. 

If you have Windows 10 installed, you can also download the install image from Microsoft and do a fresh install.  The drivers would need to be reinstalled from the hp.com site and all your personal files would be lost of course. 

If you want to attempt to fix the existing Master Boot Record, you can boot from a Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 install USB and run Troubleshoot => Advanced Options and run the BootRec.exe utility from the command prompt like below: 

bootrec /fixMBR
bootrec /Fixboot
bootrec /rebuildBCD

I have not done this myself so the commands above may not be complete.  There are many pages describing this, here are two: repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows and windows_8-update/windows-8-is-stuck-in-an-automatic-repair-loop

Please let us know whatever procedure works for you.

0 Kudos
christinejarvis Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Could I use my phone to use for the recovery usb?
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation