cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
timbits25
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Reconfiguring F keys on dm4?

Hi,

So what I didn't realize when I bought my dm4 was that the regular F key functions would only be available if I hit the Function key simultaneously.  Personally, I have nearly zero use for easy access to volume conrol and screen brightness, for example.  On the other hand, I use transcription software that uses the F keys to control the program.  Except that now I have to hit the Function key in order to get them to work.  This is, as you might imagine, incredibly aggravating.

Example:  normally, hitting the F10 key will start the recording in my transcription software at regular speed.  Now, if I forget to hit Function (or I miss it, which is much more aggravating), the volume goes up instead. This becomes especially problematic when I want to hit the F4 key to stop the recording from playing.  If it doesn't stop quickly, I have to rewind.  And since I'm typing as it plays, hitting the Function key gets to be a serious exercise in acrobatics.

Is there any way to reprogram this thing so that the functions will be in reverse order, essentially?  i.e. so the volume will go up only if I hit the Function button and the F10 simultaneously?  I admit to knowing next to nothing about computers, so perhaps this is a stupid question...

Many thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,894 16,627
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Check whether you have the option to disable/enable the fn key as described on the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Highlighted
timbits25
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks!

Though that explanation did leave out a key point -- namely, that you have to hit escape while the computer is booting to get to the startup menu and THEN hit the F10 key...

I was very confused till I googled how to access the BIOS menu.

0 Kudos
chucktr
Level 1
11 9 0 2
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for asking the question and thanks for the info on how to fix it. IMO it should have come from the factory that way in the first place.  HP makes a booboo once in a while... although I would never have another.  This little laptop is almost as powerful as my desktop. And in some ways more.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation