Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RGecy Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recover Windows 8.1 to new HDD using old failing HDD recovery partition

HP Envy m6
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My hard drive is failing on my HP envy m6 and I need to install my windows 8.1 OS over to a new drive. The computer will not boot completely and I have bad sectors affecting the c: drive. Windows tries to fix them but it ran for over 24 hours and never finished. I have been able to copy over the recovery partition to a new drive, but an OS transfer using partition software does not work. Is there any way I can recover the OS to the new drive using just the recovery partition? Any way to start this from a USB drive or other methods?

Thanks,

RGecy

0 Kudos
1 REPLY
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16475 1325 2285
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recover Windows 8.1 to new HDD using old failing HDD recovery partition

@RGecy

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 
I'll be glad to help you :)

As I understand you are trying to recover your windows 8.1 on your new hard drive using the old failing hard drive,

I will need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

The partition software you are referring to, is the Recovery media created on your old hard drive or is it something you've purchased from HP?

Where did you get the new drive from and is it of the same size as the original drive? (the recovery media doesn't work with an HDD that contains a different speed and size than the original drive).

Do you get any error messages when the software doesn't go through?

Eager to help,

Please reply for further assistance.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation