cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mannu_Northstar
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recover data from .fbw file - Windows Vista Home Premium

I recently had to reinstall Vista Home Premium on my Laptop and I used HP Recovery Manager to make a backup of the data to my 1 TB external drive.  There are two files that exist now in the backup directory (backup.1.exe and backup.2.fbw)  When I attempt to run the .exe file it says RestoreWiz crashes.  This is before I even make it to the point of selecting which files to restore.  I have tried renaming them by adding zeros, but that shouldnt even matter because its only one files(doesnt exceed 9 .fbw files), I have tried moving the files to an XP machine to see if that works and I make some progress I am able to select the files to restore then it says it has stopped responding and it quits.  This is 92 GB of personal music, pictures, and books....I think the problem is based on the program and I am wondering this:

1) What else should I try?

2) Is there a 3rd party unpackaging program that can read .fbw files?

Please help me I lost 92 gigs of personal files that are quite important to me.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Level 12
12,390 12,218 582 1,543
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update the recovery manager to the latest version, do this by using HP support assistant to check for updates.

Once this is done try the exe file again.

0 Kudos
billyg2710
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an identical problem with my son's computer. I too have tried all so called fixes, but can find no cure.

When looking through forums it seems to me that HP must be aware that a problem exists and they should be working toward fixing this.

The backed up files are very important and it is imperative that I can get them restored.

0 Kudos
swarupmon
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i have taken data backup from my hp pavillion laptop. and i have also formatted my hard disk. then i recovery os.

how i will recover my backup which is .fbw file?

0 Kudos
Level 12
12,390 12,218 582 1,543
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

JacoStrydom
5 3 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

With 3561 views,,,,, Mr Expert tht means that there is something wrong. i am sitting with the fbw file and my HP so called "total care" does not want to restore my file ... any other advise that do actually work on how to recover my important information ?????

0 Kudos
EricMeece
5 2 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I cannot open the .fbw file after backing up my files. My work is stored there. Please help me open the file. All usual methods tried and failed.

0 Kudos
EricMeece
5 2 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does not exist

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation