cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mercadonet Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recovery Failed issue and Lost Product Key

Pavillion x360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello, after replacing a damaged hard drive with a new one I could not locate the product key information.  I told the owner of the laptop to purchase the recovery disk from HP which she did. When I tried to install with the new recovery disk I received a message stating "recovery failed" when installing the recovery software to the hard drive. How can I retrieve the product ID key for this laptop also the recovery disk that she purchased did not work is there an update to this issue any help will be greatly appreciated thank you so much. The laptop is HP Pavilion X 360 with originally Windows 8.1 installed.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
9,935 8,777 719 3,228
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recovery Failed issue and Lost Product Key

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

Please, refer to these official articles about troubleshooting recovery process failures:

> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04942983  (Win 10)
> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03483233  (Win 😎

Read them both and follow the advice based on the specific error the user of the PC received.

PCs with Windows 8 , 8.1 and 10 do not ship with product key available for the users. It does not have COE sticker like Windows XP, Vista or 7 used to have > http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-8-moves-to-bios-based-product-keys/

What you ask for is officially not supported.

For the recovery discs to work:

- ensure the new HDD is working and correctly installed

- no other major hardware changes have been performed

- new HDD must with the very same size (or bigger in size) as the original HDD - smaller HDD or SSD (smaller in capacity) will not work

- check with HP or the vendor you received the media from if they sent you the correct version of the discs/media for the correct PC model.

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** IT Commodity and Cyber Security professional

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation