Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 10 (3,166 Views)

Recovery disc not working

My wife's HP Compaq Presario CQ62 209-WM lap top wouldn't boot up.  Seemed to be an obvious hard drive problem. I took the hard drive out and stuck it in the freezer. Then stuck it back in and it booted up fine.  I then got a new hard drive.  Stuck it in and tried to run the recovery discs. No good.  Computer keeps telling me "no bootable disc."   So, I'm not sure what to do next.   I've got four recovery discs my wife made wheh the computer was new.  Numbered 1 -4.  None labled as "boot disc" but  I assume it must be #1.

Any advice appreciated.  I"m no computer expert but have replaced many hard-drives over the years.  I don't do enough to remember how I did the previous time - but have always managed until now.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 10 (3,162 Views)

Re: Recovery disc not working

[ Edited ]

Hi:

You may have to purchase a set of HP factory recovery disks by following the info a the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00810334

I have a workaround if you want to give it a try...

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft windows 7 product key, you can download plain Windows 7 ISO files to burn to DVD's for the version of windows that came installed on your PC, and that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker on your PC's case.

Burn the ISO using the Burn ISO option on your DVD burning program and burn at the slowest possible speed your program will allow. This will create a bootable DVD.

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below. 

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-s​p1-iso-from-digital-river/

Paul

Top Student
Message 3 of 10 (3,128 Views)

I'm getting a little fed up with laptop.   Again - it's a HP Compaq Presario CQ62 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I'm no expert, but I've changed hard drives in all my other lap tops with no problems.   This thing? I don't get it!

Hard drive got so it wouldn't boot up unless I removed it and stuck it in the freezer for awhile. So - I can still make it work. Once booted up the computer is fine.  So at this point - I still have all the data. All I want to do is replace the hard -drive.

First I installed a new drive and tried to book up from Disk #1 of my four recovery disks.  No good - the screen keeps stating "no bootable device." Note I went into the BIOS and changed the boot order for the DVD drive is first. Still no good.

I then burnt a new Windows 7 boot disk and tried it. No good.  "No bootable device" on the screen.

Next - I downloaded the 3 gig Windows 7  HP 64 bit ISO files and burnt to a disk. Then tried to run that disk - same messare  i.e. "no bootable device."

I just took the old failing hard-drive out of the freezer, put back in the computer and it boots up and runs fine.   I know it will fail again, though.

What the heck is with this thing?  Did HP do something to make these things near impossible to change hard-drives?

I orderd a $10 adapter so I can run a hard-drive with a USB port. I might next try to put the old hard drive back in, boot up the computer and then hook the new bare HD outside via the USB port. Then maybe I can use image software to copy the old hard-drive to new? And then just install it?

Any help appreciated.

Provost
Message 4 of 10 (3,127 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

I would run the hard drive test on the new hard drive.

It may be bad. It happens from time to time.

There should be no reason why you can't install another hard drive in the notebook and expect it to work.

I don't know why you can't boot from the DVD though.  Try hitting the F9 key when you boot up the PC at the begining of the HP welcome screen.  Select the DVD drive from the one time boot menu.

If it bypasses that, then you may have a DVD drive problem too.

Paul

Top Student
Message 5 of 10 (3,123 Views)

I know the DVD player is okay.  When I put the original hard-drive back in, the DVD player works fine.  Plays and burns. 

I guess I can't say for sure the new hard drive is defective or not -but seems that would not prevent me from booting from the DVD.  I've done the F9 boot-up thing many times. No matter what I've tried - I get the "no bootable device, insert boot disk and press any key' message.

I did an "image copy" back up of the computer to a USB external hard-drive.  I'm wondering if there is some way to boot from this instead?  

Provost
Message 6 of 10 (3,122 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

I don't know if you can or not. If you used the W7 backup program you need to use either the bootable CD you make to recover the image or you need a W7 installation disk.

Your DVD may play stuff fine but still have a defect in that it can't read bootable disks.

When you install the hard drive you can boot from, can you boot from the DVD-ROM drive then?

I bet not.

Try an external USB DVD drive.

Another thing you can try is to install the W7 image file on a big enough flash drive, and use the Windows 7 flash tool to boot from the flash drive and install W7.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Paul

Top Student
Message 7 of 10 (3,112 Views)

When I put the original hard drive in - it still won't boot from the DVD drive. I tried it with the windows boot disk and the disk # 1 from the HP recovery disk set I made.    I know the disks work because I tried them in my other HP laptop and it would boot from them. So I don't know what heck is going on?  The DVD play  plays movies fine and reads my other data disks.   So - can there be a problem with the drive that it works OK otherwise but won't boot from a recovery disk? Seems far-fetched to me but I'm not an expert.  I thought I had an extra new DVD drive and I was going to swap. But I just found out this HP uses a SATA DVD drive and my new spare is a 50 pin hookup - not SATA.

So, for now -I guess I've got to find a way to transfer/copy data from the original hard drive to the new one. Not sure how yet.   There must be a way.   I'm hoping when I get my USB adapter in the mail - I can run the HP laptop with two hard drives and then copy one to the other.  I've never had a hard time like this before.

Provost
Message 8 of 10 (3,111 Views)

You don't have a 4 GB USB flash drive you can copy the generic W7 SP1 installation file to, and use the tool I posted above to load W7?

Top Student
Message 9 of 10 (3,107 Views)

I just tried it but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly.  I downloaded the full Windows 7 HP 64 bit in ISO files.  I also downloaded the Windows 7 USB DVD Tool program.    Have them both on an 8 gig thumb drive.  Turned on computer and hit F9.  It then let me switch to the thumb drive. Then - I got the same old message "no bootable device."

Provost
Message 10 of 10 (3,104 Views)

Oh, no!

I never tried that method, so I was hoping it would just work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation