Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I bought HP EliteBook 840 G1 (H5G23EA), disconnected RAID of standard HDD and mSATA SSD in "Intel® Matrix Storage ManagerOption ROM" (http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/rste/sb/intelr_rste_linux.pdf page 26) (entered by Ctrl+i shortcut after POST). After that I can't enter this "Intel® Matrix Storage ManagerOption ROM" any more.

I have selected 'RAID' disk mode and 'Promt Ctrl-i' in BIOS.

Any ideas how to recreate the RAID (pair HDD and caching SSD)?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended
Same problem here... did you found a solution?
HP Recommended

I contacted local HP phone support. They told me, that this is a "feature". In order to get your "Matrix Storage ManagerOption ROM" running again you have to install windows system and Intel Rapid Storage Driver (and of course all necessary HP drives). Such installatin magically reenable "Matrix Storage ManagerOption ROM". They weren't able to explain how and why. The admitted that the "Matrix Storage ManagerOption ROM" is pretty useless because you can manage your RAID more comfortably from Windows RST manager.

I haven't tested these steps.

HP Recommended

You can re-enable this menu by doing the following: create WinPE boot image with Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and RSTCLI.exe (or RSTCLI64.exe) tool from Intel.com. Driver and tool versions need to be the same, e.g. 12.8. Now boot into WinPE, run the tool and type the following commands:

rstcli -M -Z (wipes the array information)
rstcli --accelerate --createCache --SSD 0-1-0-0 --cache-size 30 (creates cache on SSD)
rstcli --accelerate --setAccelConfig --disk-to-accel 0-0-0-0 --mode enhanced (accelerates the HDD)

Check the correct parameters according to your hardware and preference for the mode.
Now reboot and you'll see the OROM again. I hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

that is very annoying, not only i don't see rstcli.exe available to download, this feature is very not-logical.

HP Recommended

I faced a similar problem, and OKampman's post really help.

I have an elitebook 840 G1 in hand. After I format the 30Gb SSD, the 'Intel Rapid Storage Technology Option ROM' is gone and never back even if the 'RAID SATA Controller' and 'ctrl+I prompt' are checked in bios. I install windows8(x64) and IRST, no accelerate function found in IRST UI console, and SSD can be seen as 'pass through' in disk manager.

Here is how the problem solved:
1) download your IRST dirver version matched 'Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Command Line Interface (RST CLI)' at http://downloadcenter.intel.com;
2) read 1.3.2.2 of 'Intel SRT Enterprise Deployment Guide Rev 2.0.pdf' as attached, learn how to enable IRST after the OS is installed by using the RSTCLI tool.

Hope this help.

HP Recommended
Hello, I'm having an identical issue with my laptop.

I needed to install an alternate disk in my laptop, but after re-installing my original disk, the cache/raid config was gone.

I've managed to reconfigure the cache/raid configurations, through Intel RST cli, but now I cannot start my Windows operating system!

I get an error saying "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed".

Can anyone point me the right direction... Or have I just lost everything?
HP Recommended

Thanks OKAMPMA!!!

Works for me!!!

HP Recommended

Working reinstall procedure:

Step 1 reinstall OS:

- take the hdd and reinstall easily in a desktop computer (cdrom etc) in AHCI mode.

- re-insert in the laptop and run in AHCI mode

At this point you have 2 separate drives - sata hdd and ssd

Step 2 re-enable the SSD cache:

Change from AHCI to RAID:

Change to RAID mode from AHCI mode or IDE mode:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to hide)

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
  2. Press [Win] + R or take the RUN option from the start menu.
  3. Now type regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window.
  4. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
  5. Locate and then click the following registry subkeys:
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor
  6. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
  7. In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK.
  8. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
  9. Restart your computer
  10. Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable RAID, Save & Reboot
  11. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

Source link:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1227636/how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-installation

After reboot in device manager AHCI controller is replaced by RAID controller.

Reinstall Intel RST driver.

Delete any existing partition on SSD.

Start RST GUI - now you have the option to create the RAID.

Thats all.

HP Recommended

ybalabanov's answer is 100% correct!! The HDD in this Gen 1 Elitebook 840 died and I replaced it. Mode was AHCI in the bios by default so I left it this way before installing windows. The Intel Rapid Storage app wouldn't show accelerate as an option. Uninstall it first and follow ybalabanov's instructions. I only had iaStorV and msahci but no iaStor, so I only changed those two.

After installing windows I would recommend to use diskpart to do a "clean" on the mSATA device before switching to RAID, just for good measure:

1. Open start menu, type "diskpart" and press enter

2. Press Yes

3. Type "list disk" and press enter
4. Type "select disk #" where # is the number it says beside the mSATA device (the one thats 31GB, not the HDD which would be hundreds of GB
5. Type "clean" and press enter

6. Type "exit" and press enter

7. Open start menu, type "partitions" and click on the one called "create and format hard disk partitions"

8. It should automatically ask you to initialize the new disk. Just press ok. If it doesn't, right click the Disk that says "not initialized" and press initialize and press ok. Close the partition manager window.

Then continue with changing the registry, switching to RAID in bios, start windows, restart again, install the latest intel RST software, and finally enable acceleration. It is much much faster to start windows and load programs right after. Jusst make sure that every time it asks you to reboot, wait a minute and then do it before continuing.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.