Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 4
175 96 1 8
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Regarding Upgrading to windows 10 and Hp recovery manager

HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15-k203TX Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

Purchased in the month of May 2015 new laptop - HP ENVY 15-k203TX Notebook PC and it came with preinstalled Windows 8.1 (64-bit) OS.

Wanted to upgrade to windows 10 in it.

But my query is that

1]  if i upgrade to windows 10 will there will be any warranty issue/problem in future since my laptop came with windows 8.1 and user has upgrade to windows 10 in it?

2]  If i upgrade to windows 10 then hp recovery manager will work ? because hp recovery manager is link with windows 8.1 and in future if incase any problem occurs and user uses hp recovery manager then it will install windows 8.1 or windows 10? i have read in some post in hp support forum that user are facing problem in hp recovery manager after upgrading to windows 10. Hp recovery manager doesnt work after that.

3] After upgrafding to windows 10 if incase any problem user uses HP Recovery manager then OS should revert to Factory condition i.e Windows 10 (not windows 8.1) I read in some forum of hp and microsoft that there are working on  this issue.

3]  Still now i haven't created windows 8.1 system recovery disc/usb. Shall i create before upgrading to windows 10 or after upgrading to windows 10 or create both system recovery for windows 8.1 and windows 10?

4]  Even havent created hp recovery disc yet, therefore shall i create hp recovery disc in windows 8.1 (i.e before upgrading  windows 10) or create after upgrading to windows 10. Because Hp recovery disc can only be created once therefore havent created yet.

4]  do i need to perform any important step before upgrading to windows 10?

5]  Is it possible to clean install windows 10 after activating successfully? Will there will be any hp warranty issue/problem in future since i have done clean install of windows 10?

I have posted similar question in the month of december during experts day at that time one of the expert user "dinu777" replied that "my suggestion is please wiat for another month or 2, with that time HP  and Microsoft will work on the bugs and will make sure its complety working fine becasue microsfot is still working on the issue"

Due to medical problem i havent used the laptop for long time and hardly 2 months left for free upgrade to windows 10.

Thereforer i request you all for quick reply.

Thanks in advance to all the users who has replyed to my post.

Bye,

Siva

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,488 23,427 2,168 5,115
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Varadar

Let me try to answer your Win10 questions ...

1) NO -- Upgrade does not invalidate the warranty, but neither does it extend it.

2) NO -- recovery manager will no longer work because the files it needs are preinstalled on your PC from the factory. Not only are those only for Win8.1, but the Win10 upgrade has a nasty habbit of corrupting OEM recovery information, preventing any HP recovery from working after the Upgrade.

3-1) NO -- you will NOT be able to do a factory reset after the Win10 Upgrade for the reasons mentioned in 2) above, plus the Win10 Upgrade does NOT install the files needed for a factory reset --as those come only from HP.

3-2) NO -- Don't bother with these -- better alternative described below

4-1) Same as 3-2, above

4-2) Yes -- see below regarding image backup

5) Yes, see 1) for warranty question response

Unfortunately, the Win10 GoBack function has been demonstrated to be unreliable, so when folks try to rollback to an earlier OS, when it does not work, it can leave the machine in a corrupted state, such that only a full factory reset from HP Recovery Media will get it back to a working condition, and not only do you have to purchase that media, you end up losing all your data, settings, and applications in the process.

However, you can protect yourself from upgrade and recovery problems if, BEFORE you do the Upgrade, you consider using a third-party imaging/restoration application like Macrium Reflect to image off your machine so you can easily restore it if anything doesn't work. 

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.  Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry.  This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows! Add this menu item AFTER you do the Win10 Upgrade.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Have fun experimenting with Win10!

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Highlighted
Author
Level 4
175 96 1 8
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What is the use of hp recovery manager when it wont work in windows 10.  Both of them (HP and microsoft ) should understand this issue. We are geunine users of windows 8.1.

Hp should understand that when os has upgraded then even recovery manager should also upgrade it.

I regret myself by chossing hp laptop. Because of similar crap issues my friends always recommend for apple products.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,488 23,427 2,168 5,115
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The "use" of Recovery Manager is to restore the PC to it's ORIGINAL state.

The decision to change the OS from the original to something else was YOUR decision, not HP's.

HP is then under no obligation to modify their recovery SW to accomodate a change you made.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not when Windows 10 decides to install by itself .. They have it now that it will install on some computers automaticaly .. So I would like to think HP will come up with a fix for this ..

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation