cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
7 3 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Reinstall Win10

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-g108na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear Sirs,

I have bought an HP Pavilion 17-g108na Laptop with Windows 10.

I have one question: How can I do a clean install of the Windows 10 operating system (again)?

The Laptop came without any CD or USB Stick and without any Windows 10 Code.

Thanks a lot for your answer in advance,

Chris.

**Edit:**

I found the recommendation from a fellow forum member to visit WINDOWS 10 DOWNLOAD

and to create a USB Medium with an install medium.

(Post: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Reinstalling-Windows-10-OS-after... )

I did as recommended and the install medium was created just fine as it seems.

But now I have another issue. Windows marked up that a Registration Code will be required for a fresh install.

I understood that Windows sort of hardcodes the registration code into the USB Media.

Does someone know from experience if the latter is true and if I can go ahead an reinstall Windows 10 (without having a registration code)?

Thanks again for helping me out here.

Chris

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 4
81 79 5 37
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I recently clean installed win 10 on my laptop, no hassles.

I used Microsoft's media creation tool (is this what your link goes to?) to make the installation media (USB flash drive).

If your computer came with win 10 or had previously had it installed and correctly activated, then my understanding is that it will automatically activate upon installation. No key required, it just works. Just make sure that you create a disk with the same version as you previously had installed (home or pro).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 3 1 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Perfect, thanks for giving me a bit more confidence.

The link goes to the Media Creation Tool.

So this should be alright then!

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
25,506 25,439 2,332 5,525
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ChrisK-with-a-K

With the MS Media Creation Tool, you have the option of (1) creating Win10 installation media (USB or DVD), (2) downloading an ISO file, (3) updating the PC directly.

You should choose option (1) and then select either USB stick or DVD -- depending on which one you want to boot from to do the clean install.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation