Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 10 (3,366 Views)

Removing stickers

Oh hi there!

I just bought my first laptop! an HP pavillion DV5-1145. I'm well pleased.

And I peeled off one of the stickers, and it's left a terrible mess. Quite an eye sore. Half of it is still there, along with a bunch of glue and silver foil or whatever.

Any idea on how to removing the remains without scratching the machine itself?

Many thanks! Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 10 (3,364 Views)

Re: Removing stickers

You can dab a soft cloth with warm soapy water and gently rub it away, but you might have some buff marks.
Teacher
Message 3 of 10 (3,306 Views)

goo be gone is da bomb on stuff like that.  Smiley Very Happy

Grad Student
Message 4 of 10 (3,279 Views)

Aghhhh, the stickers you removed...the silver one...your windows serial number???

Hope you wrote it down for reference and the eventual reinstall.

You are left with a sticky mess because they do not want you to remove the stickers. Usually means important.

Grad Student
Message 5 of 10 (3,274 Views)

good point Shawn. There is another sticker on the bottom with the s/n  number and the model number. do not remove it either.
All of my posts reflect my opinion only and not of HP.
Honor Student
Message 6 of 10 (3,239 Views)

Ah, it was just one of those stickers to the right of the mouse dingus. The ones saying stuff like: WITH WINDOWS, WITH ATI.. blabla. And I just thought.... I don't need ads on my machine saying I'm using this and that.

Thanks for the advice all! Smiley Very Happy

Grad Student
Message 7 of 10 (3,231 Views)

LOL I understand that!!
All of my posts reflect my opinion only and not of HP.
Tutor
Message 8 of 10 (3,194 Views)

Hi,

Just a quick note, I've had the same stickers on the front of my dv9810 and have "delayed" trying to get them off for obvious reasons.  However, my father who's is a chemical engineer clued me in to using WD40 to remove the remnants of "stickers" on various things.  Works great!  I would obviously not use the "spray" to remove the residue - put on a little bit of soft cloth and rub - may take a little while - but it should work.  I would then go over it with a soft cloth with a computer cleanser or if nothing else rubbing alcohol.  And, as with the above advice, I wouldn't take off the stickers on the back of the unit which have your Windows serial number and the units serial number.  Good luck.

Pat

Grad Student
Message 9 of 10 (3,162 Views)

There is a product on the market called "Goo Gone" works great on removing residue from stickers. It is citrus based. Put some on a rag and rub lightly over the spot. the glue should come right off. I've used it on painted surfaces with no ill effects, so I don't think it will harm the finish on the computer.
dv7t-1000CTO Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
dv6-1350us Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
Student
Message 10 of 10 (1,401 Views)

I got new HP Pavillion Notebook 2190se, it is amazed stylish everything is good. but after a while I saw a residue black color sticker on right bottom of the LCD screen which is irritating me. I want to remove it out but whenever I try it looks like it will harm the screen if I pull it out.

any suggestion help me please...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation