cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
zbron97 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Repeated Boot Drive Failure

HP Envy m6-p114dx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

There's a bit of a story behind this problem, so bear with me.

At the end of the spring semester, I turned off my laptop and put it on the shelf. Having a desktop, and no real reason to use the laptop, it sat up there for a couple months. When I took it down and powered it up, I got this message "Boot drive not found." It seemed pretty straightforward, so I ordered a new drive (A Samsung Evo 850 SSD) and installed it with a fresh copy of Windows 7. Everything was working fine, so I started replacing the drivers I'd lost in the reinstall, and left the computer running to install them. 

Imagine my surprise, when 20 minutes later, I come back to see my PC attempted to restart, and is now displaying the "Boot device not found error," this time accompanied by intermittent crackling on my speakers. 

My question, then, is what could cause 2 drives in a row to either (A) Fail, or (B) not be recognised by my computer?

I look forward to your responses.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
38974 38789 5978 10418
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Repeated Boot Drive Failure

A more serious hardware issue like a bad motherboard or even bad memory. Can you get into F2 diagnostics and run a full test loop on all the hardware? 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation