Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
aless02 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replaced cracked laptop screen, now no screen works

HP Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cracked my Stream 11's screen (well, my 3 year old threw a Lego at it!) but the blacklight worked fine and I used an external monitor until the replacement LED screen arrived.

I replaced the screen and switched the laptop on...black!  External monitor still yields a display, so it's not the GPU.  Then when plugging in the OLD screen (cracked but had still lit up), that now fails to turn on!  I was very careful in replacing the screen, yes the connector is snapped properly in place and there is no damage from the install.

What's going on?  Not much having shelled out £40 for a replacement LED for now no screens to work at all!

4 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
22728 3093 7486
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Aless.

Did you remove the AC and MAIN battery???

Did you then hold down the power button for 10-15 seconds before replacing the LED???

I have sent many LED test bed laptops to the scrap pile because of an arc when removing or replacing LED's on the test beds.

The arc takes out the LED power supply on the System board.

I would retest one that I just passed and it would not show any display for the one I just tested and was fine.

REO

****Click the Blue thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
Microsoft Registered Refurbisher and Registered Microsoft Partner
Professor
Professor
1561 133 296
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, sorry I do not have a solution but I do remember someone posting the identical issue here 2 or 3 months ago.  They replaced a broken screen on a Stream laptop and then the backlight would no longer work.  They thought the inverter board or main board got damaged somehow during the replacement.  I could not find the thread doing a search just now.

0 Kudos
aless02 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, sorry I did reply but it never posted!  Is there anyway for a person at home to test this? I can order a replacement LED cable, but would there be visible damage or anything to look for before doing so?  Not much point in sinking more money if it's totally dead...(as I assume replacing the motherboard is too prohibitive & difficult for a £150 laptop...)

0 Kudos
amirocker Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just wondering if you found any solutions... I'm having the exact same problem.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation