Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion X360 M3-u001dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Did somebody knows how to replace HDD to SSD and set it up as a  primary boot disk?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Ed6467

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

There are various ways to do this, but I can tell you how I have done this -- several times.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Connect the new drive to the PC using a USB-to-Hard-Drive drive adapter (like the one illustrated below)
3) Follow the instructions in this link: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk
4) Shutdown the PC when done
5) Swap the drives and reboot the PC.

You should boot from the new drive without any problems.

NOTE: To do this easily, the SDD has to be the same capacity as the HDD.  IF you get an SDD that is a lot smaller, then before you do the cloning, you have to shrink the largest partition on the HDD (usually the OS partition), to the size such that it, and the other partitions, fit easily on the SSD.

Typical USB-to-Hard-Drive adapter:

USB-Drive-Adapter.jpg

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply but the software I downloaded wont run, dont know why but I will try other freeware online.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

Thank you for the solution you provided to me. The Macrium software I downloaded is asking me to purchase to have a full access to do disk copy. I don't want to purchase it cause I will use it only one time. 

But anyway I will use my laptop using Windows 7 thats why I want to upgrade the hdd to ssd. Windows 10 wont work on some of my programs which is running on windows 7. The problem is everytime I run setup of win7 my laptop give me a blue scream of death error or asking for me for driver of my DVD. By the way I use Disk to install win7.

Its like something that Pavillion x360 m3-u001dx wont allow me to setup any OS but win10. 

Do you have any idea how can I install windows 7 on my systems?

Thanks,

HP Recommended

I mean blue screen of death!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.