Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SBO25K Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replacement of hard disk

Compaq 420, 14"
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I want to replace my HDD 360 GB with new SDD disk due to space problems with disk with compaq 420. 

System configuration is

Intel Core 2 Due  CPU T 6670 @ 2.20 GHz   RAM 4.0 GB ( 2.90 GB Usable)

Hard Disk - 360 GB

Size - 14"

Please advise me wheather I can change my hard disk to SDD.

Regards

0 Kudos
1 REPLY
Provost Provost
Provost
37388 5651 9756
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replacement of hard disk

Yes, you can. See p. 59 of the Manual here:

Your Service Manual

Yours is one of the oldest that would work OK with a SATA SSD. Your SATA bus is likely SATA-I but a newer SATA-III SSD will work fine at SATA-I speeds. It will still be noticeably faster. You just want to install Windows 7 or higher to automatically configure the SSD to run optimally. Don't worry about any BIOS settings or registry hacks. Just install the SSD like a hard drive. Follow the instructions for installing a 7mm hard drive as most SSDs are 2.5 inches wide and the very slim 7mm form factor. 

Let us know if you need help with software migration/reinstallation. You want to install 64 bit Windows 7, by the way. You have a gig of RAM, 25% of what you have installed, that is useless to you running 32 bit Windows 7. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as SOlution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation