cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RowdyB18
Level 1
11 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Replacing HDD with an SSD

HP Recommended
15-ab165us Energy Star
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab165us (ENERGY STAR).  My HDD quit working and needs replaced.  I bought a SDD for the replacement.  When I first bought my computer, I bought a 32 GB usb flash drive to save  the OS in case it needed replaced.  I thought I followed all directions and did this correctly.  I have taken my laptop apart and mounted the new SSD.  This is where I get stuck.  I turn my computer on and the screen pops up that says no os on drive. Please install os on the drive.  I put my USB drive in and the only thing that comes up is a data file, but there is nothing on it.   When I go to to the This PC screen, it whows that there is 9.7 GB left on my usb drive out of 28.8gb.  Not sure what to do or how to proceed,  Thank you,

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
visruth
Level 15
13,019 12,958 1,699 3,965
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi,

How did you save OS to USB? Please explain the method.

Regards

Visruth
0 Kudos
RowdyB18
Author
Level 1
11 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm not sure.  I followed the directions that was given from the computer

0 Kudos
visruth
Level 15
13,019 12,958 1,699 3,965
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you booting to USB correctly?
http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00364979

Disable secure boot temporarily :
http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04784866
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation