cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
LenSatic
5 2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

Replacing Probook 4520s HDD. Reinstalling Windows 7?

HP Recommended

The hard drive failed on my Probook 4520s after only 18 months.  Did a Windows disk come with the computer?  If not, how does one reinstall Windows when a HDD fails?  (I know how to buy and install Windows, I'm more interested in how it is recovered when it is stored on the failed drive rather than removable media.)

The reason I'm not sure if a disk came with the computer is that we recently moved to a new state and the disk may be in one of the, still, unopened boxes.

Thanks

Patrick Mc.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
UXsci
Level 2
Level 2
14 11 1 4
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I am working on this for you! Just give me a few minutes or so.

Thanks
I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
UXsci
Level 2
Level 2
14 11 1 4
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a question for you. Do you have the product key for the version of Windows 7 that was installed on your harddrive? 

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
UXsci
Level 2
Level 2
14 11 1 4
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay, 

This may fix your issue.

If you have the product key for the version of windows 7 that was on your computer, you can go to: http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-link...

wherein in you can download the appropriate windows 7  ISO (be sure the version is the same one that was previously installed on your computer). Burn the ISO to a disc and then install it from the disc & activate it with your product key. 

I hope this Helps!

I am an HP employee
LenSatic
Author
5 2 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Yes, I found the produck key on the bottom of the computer. It reads Windows 7 Home Prem OA.

I'm not sure if it was 32 or 64 bit, though. Is there a way to tell?

Thanks for the quick response!

Pat
0 Kudos
UXsci
Level 2
Level 2
14 11 1 4
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
After researching your product, there is no certain conclusion as to what bit your operating system was (32 or 64).

I think your best bet is to try the both, starting with the most likely.

If you remember how much ram your computer had, this may be a clue as to what version of windows you had. If you have less than 4GB of ram it is likely that you had the 32-bit version. If you have more than 4GB it is likely you had the 64-bit. This may help you decide which one you try first.

Good luck
I am an HP employee
LenSatic
Author
5 2 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I'll check the memory when I open up the computer to put in the new drive.

I'll go ahead and mark this problem as solved.

Thanks again.

Pat

p.s.: My wife wife is an HP employee, too. Former EDS employee in Airline Services.
0 Kudos
dbdivabolden
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
What if u don't have a product key and don't know much about laptops what's the easiest way to reinstal my windows 7 on my laptop
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation