Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
CreaTivEuk Tutor
Tutor
11 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Replacing the Network Card on HP Pavilion dv7-3111ea

Pavilion dv7 WC159EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Can you tell me what is the best available and compatible network card for my laptop? I am looking to upgrade, for a better performance and overall speed, which currently averages around 35Mbps on speedtest on a ~100mbps fibre optic broadband (Virgin UK).

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Associate Dean
Associate Dean
11219 436 813
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Here's what it says:

Wireless Integrated wireless local area network (WLAN) options by way of wireless module:
■ Intel 5100 802.11a/b/g Half-Mini Card WLAN module
■ Broadcom 4322 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN module
■ Broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN module

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv7-3100-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/4074368/mo...

If you can find a half height intel 5300 for HP I would try that but also look at the broadcome 4322 that would indicate that one is Dual band from it's identifier. But my money would first find a half height 5300 that states it works for hp then if that fails go to the Broadcom. But that if you can risk loosing some money if the 5300 doesn't work. This is what I would do but doesn't mean you should go that route.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
CreaTivEuk Tutor
Tutor
11 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I currently have Broadcom BCM943225HM (FCC ID: QDS-BRCM1045). Do you think it would make a difference, if I change to the intel 5300 or 5100? Thank you for the reply, PeerOne!

0 Kudos
Associate Dean
Associate Dean
11219 436 813
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@CreaTivEuk wrote:

I currently have Broadcom BCM943225HM (FCC ID: QDS-BRCM1045). Do you think it would make a difference, if I change to the intel 5300 or 5100? Thank you for the reply, PeerOne!

Well do this on your wifi on the taskbar when you choose it does it give you two options either 2.4 or 5.0 ghz bandwidth to choose from? If you do have options for either one I would say your good where your at but if you only get wifi at 2.4 then I would say if you want Dual Band wifi you need to upgrade to either the Intel or Broadcom 4322 to get dual band wifi.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation