cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Kaye10000 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Rescue Recovery USB or disk

HP PAVILLION NOTEBOOK 17G199NR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to make a rescue/recovery/restore disk/usp for computer.  started process and got to the part that said "you can only make one copy"  or You have one shot at this so you better get it right.

I was given a number to call when HP returned my computer but the number is not valid, and refers to another number which is always busy

If I do try and make this rescue/recover/restore disk and mess up can it be reversed.  Remember I don't have recover/rescue disk.  Going to try HP again

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Provost Provost
Provost
41,041 39,520 6,148 10,661
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You do have a recovery partition on the hard drive which can be used to recover. What advice do you want before going forward? You have burnable disks or a usb thumb drive ready to write, corrrect? The process is pretty automatic. 

0 Kudos
Kaye10000 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What size disk / usb   I have a 32g usb which has the downloaded W10 on it.  My windows 7 has some problems and need to get fixed.  Am working on new computer and W10  Want to get new computer backed up and "safe" before working on W7. 

Thanks for link.  Just need to have an alternative plan. 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
18,505 16,465 1,532 3,656
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Kaye10000

My own preference for recovery media is using a third-party product known as Macrium Reflect.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition.  This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.  

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Kaye10000 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am sure your method would be great, but it is way over my head.  Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
18,505 16,465 1,532 3,656
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Don't despair --  help is available:

http://www.techradar.com/us/how-to/computing/how-to-use-macrium-reflect-free-to-backup-your-pc-13198...

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Kaye10000 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

to all who responded to my plea, thank you.  HP has sent me the official hp recovery disks.

They should have done that in the first place. 

Any, every one here is great

Thanks again

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation