cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ceceg
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Reseting Password

HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

I have a new HP laptop that I was so excited as I was setting it up 4 days ago.  The following day after the set up and turn my computer on,  the first window that opens up is the "password" window.  I keep typing what I assume was the password but it won't recognize it.  There is a link that says "RESET" but when I go to it, it tells me to insert a USB.  When I insert a USB, there is a Windows window that opens and says "Wrong USB".  :womanmad:

I can't get past those two options. 

I went to the microsoft account (from a different computer), typed in the password and it works! 

How can I reset the password on my computer so I can actually enjoy my new laptop?

Is there a way to set it up so I don't have to use a password when I turn on my computer? 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
REO51ST
Level 16
25,082 24,632 3,567 8,026
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Welcome Ceceg.

What model laptop do you have???

There are few different passwords.

Power-On password. "As soon as you turn on the computer it will ask for a password"

Windows login password. "Windows starts to load and then will ask for a Username and Password"

Let us know.

REO

SGI
Level 4
115 115 5 19
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The password is for the user account (windows login). You'll need to enter the correct password in order to login, the other option of USB works only if you did a password reset disk save to an USB, in this case you did not. So, there is no other option than to try guessing the password or restoring windows.

Good luck!

bpz1950
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I'm having the same problem. I can't open up my HPlaptop, it keeps saying I am entering the wrong password. Any help with this I would appreciate greatly
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation