cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
xploren Tutor
Tutor
13 12 0 1
Message 1 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Resetting a demo TouchPad

In the rush to get an HP TouchPad after the price drop, I got to a store that decided it would sell its demo unit of the TouchPad to me. I noticed the big "NOT FOR RESALE" sticker on the box and the device itself, but I was sold it anyway. When I got home though, I couldn't figure out how to completely reset the device so that the demo program can be wiped. Using the software manager isn't enough, and the program still lingers. When I do a full wipe of the device, it automatically installs the demo program on its own when it turns on. I can't even properly connect to my wi-fi, presumably because it's a demo unit. Does anyone know how to reset this demo unit into a consumer unit, or is it not possible?

0 Kudos
40 REPLIES 40
BluMaterial Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 2 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a demo unit too.  Can you tell me how you wiped the device?  My wi-fi worked perfectly, but that may be because the demo unit was never actually used and was still new in the box.

Sorry I can't be of any help.  😞

0 Kudos
xploren Tutor
Tutor
13 12 0 1
Message 3 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's alright, I actually found the solution to wiping the demo unit completely. Download the webOS doctor from Palm's site right here: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touchpad/p302r0d08012011/wifip302rod/webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar

After it downloads, run it, but don't connect your device. Keep proceeding until the program asks you to connect your TouchPad, and the next button should start working (if it doesn't, plug the USB cord into your outlet, turn off the device, hold the volume up button, and plug in the cord to your TouchPad. When the USB icon comes up, connect your TouchPad to your computer and the next button should work now). Wait until the program wipes your TouchPad, and it should restart on its own. That's it! The only trouble I'm having now is creating a webOS account, it seems their servers are down or something and a prompt keeps showing up saying "We are unable to create an account for you."

0 Kudos
BluMaterial Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 4 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@xploren wrote:

It's alright, I actually found the solution to wiping the demo unit completely. Download the webOS doctor from Palm's site right here: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touchpad/p302r0d08012011/wifip302rod/webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar

After it downloads, run it, but don't connect your device. Keep proceeding until the program asks you to connect your TouchPad, and the next button should start working (if it doesn't, plug the USB cord into your outlet, turn off the device, hold the volume up button, and plug in the cord to your TouchPad. When the USB icon comes up, connect your TouchPad to your computer and the next button should work now). Wait until the program wipes your TouchPad, and it should restart on its own. That's it! The only trouble I'm having now is creating a webOS account, it seems their servers are down or something and a prompt keeps showing up saying "We are unable to create an account for you."

Thanks for the answer! I will try that and see if it works.  
And I am having the exact same webOS account creation problem, so it's not just you.  I hope it's because their servers are overwhelmed by the thousands of new users who bought today, and not because it's a problem with the demo units...fingers crossed!
0 Kudos
xploren Tutor
Tutor
13 12 0 1
Message 5 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No problem! And definitely, it'd be such a downer if that was true. I guess I'll just leave it for a few hours, come back, and try again later.

0 Kudos
jajax Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 6 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hey i have a mac... will this still work?

0 Kudos
xploren Tutor
Tutor
13 12 0 1
Message 7 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you have Java installed, yes.

0 Kudos
BluMaterial Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 8 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jajax wrote:

hey i have a mac... will this still work?

Yes...BUT make sure you have Java 1.6 installed.  I have an older Macbook Pro that only had Java 1.5, so I had to download 1.6.  You can do that by going to Apple's download site (http://support.apple.com/downloads/) and doing a search for "java 1.6" and then finding the update link that corresponds to the OS X version installed on your mac.

Once you've downloaded & installed Java 1.6, go to Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences, and on the "General" tab drag the Java 1.6 option to the top of the list to make sure that your computer tries to run java programs with version 1.6.

Then, download the jar file in xploren's link and carefully follow the instructions.

By the way, if your touchpad ever freezes (like mine did when I forgot to eject it from my Macbook Pro before unplugging the USB cable), just press the power button on top and the "home" button on the front simultaneously for about 10 seconds, and it will restart.

Also, if you get a pop-up msg while the webOS doctor software is running that warns you about disconnecting your device before ejecting it, just click OK and ignore it.  Apparently, the software does stuff that makes your mac think the touchpad has been disconnected/ejected, even while the USB cable is still plugged in.

When the touchpad restarts, it may take a while so be patient.  It took about 5 minutes before it displayed the select language prompt on mine.

I just got off a chat session with hp webOS tech support.  They say there is no way to create a webOS account on a demo device.  Not sure if HP will change this anytime soon, since the number of demo devices out there is pretty small.

0 Kudos
xploren Tutor
Tutor
13 12 0 1
Message 9 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ugh, that's incredibly dumb. I guess I'll have to return this tomorrow, I doubt HP will do anything about it. I was really looking forward to using this too...

0 Kudos
BluMaterial Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 0
Message 10 of 41
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm hoping they will give me a refund...not sure since it is discontinued.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation