Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
LucAlreadyTaken Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Restore a corrupted BIOS

Pavilion dv6-3100

Hi everyone! First time that I write here so I gotta say this first: I'm so sorry for my bad english, but...I'm italian, so don't put too much blame on me! :v

Ok, let's go straight to the point...

A friend of mine gave me an HP Pavilion dv6-3100 that won't start: fan runs and lights come on, but nothing more...
Dear old "black screen of death", even on external monitors.

For what I can presume by the 2 blinks of the CAPS LOCK light it should be a BIOS issue.
I've tried a lot of "fix tips":

- Power button pushed for "more than a minute" without battery and AC connector
- Changed and moved RAM cards from one slot to the other
- "Power button + ESC" (I don't know why, but someone out there said that it worked)
- Leaved the pc turned on for an hour or more without the battery, to (as someone said) "recharge BIOS battery"
- ...almost every "fix tip" on the web

If I remember correctly my friend said that it all started from a flashing attempt went wrong, so finally I tried to "reflash" the BIOS.
This pc came to me without his HDD (actually without even the SATA cable that connects the HDD to the motherboard), so I tried to make an "HP-TOOLS" USB using two other computers (not HP) following the HP Service instructions, but it always end up with these 2 errors:

- IHISI: Get support mode fail in SMI!
- BIOS did not support InsydeFlash!

I've already googled it, but I didn't really understood what to do...

So, the final question is:

How can I restore my BIOS?

Thanks in advance for your patience

Luca

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
15902 15846 1477 3529
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Restore a corrupted BIOS

LucAlreadyTaken

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

It may not be possible to restore the BIOS, as (you probably already know), a corruped BIOS is one of the few things that can permanently trash a PC.

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
LucAlreadyTaken Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Restore a corrupted BIOS

@WAWood wrote:

@LucAlreadyTaken

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

It may not be possible to restore the BIOS, as (you probably already know), a corruped BIOS is one of the few things that can permanently trash a PC.

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Good Luck

Yes, I've always knew that "corrupted BIOS" is one of the most terrifing scenarious, but this goes in the opposite direction of what the page you linked explains, doesn't it?

From that page:

This document pertains to all HP notebook PCs including notebooks with HP SureStart architecture.
If the BIOS on your notebook becomes corrupted, such as from a failed BIOS upgrade or damage from a virus, the computer might show any the following symptoms:
  • The computer displays the error message BIOS APPLICATION ERROR 501.
  • The computer stops at a black or blank screen and it will not enter any of the Boot Options, such as the BIOS Setup Utility, Hardware Diagnostic Tools, and System Recovery screens.
  • The computer does not boot and the Caps Lock or Num Lock LED blinks twice, or the computer emits beep codes.
  • The computer turns on, for example the fan might spin, but there is no video on the internal display or external monitor, and it does not boot into the operating system.
If the computer shows any of these and it does not boot, use this document to restore the BIOS.
Many HP notebook computers have an HP BIOS Restore tool to recover the BIOS from an earlier version and restore basic functionality. Depending on many factors, this tool might or might not work if the BIOS are corrupted, but it is worth trying.

I'm trying the "USB way", but, as I said, when I run the BIOS file to create the USB
(6. Select the USB storage drive, click OK, then click Next.)
 it always end up with these 2 errors:

- IHISI: Get support mode fail in SMI!
- BIOS did not support InsydeFlash!

Anybody knows what's the cause of those errors and how to overcome them?
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation