cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Sarahmarie
Level 1
15 8 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Restoring Windows 10 following a recovery process version rollback

HP 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

A BIOS missing or corrupted file error aborted this month's Windows 10 Update cycle on my laptop. As a result I found it necessary to run the factory image recovery process. This did cure the BIOS file problem, however, it also restored the factory installed 8.1 version of Windows.

I need to re upgrade to Windows 10 in order to restore my personal files from my external hard drive using Comodo Backup. Is it possible to do this without buying the full version of Windows? I posed a similar question on the Microsoft Forums, and a response reccomended contacting you for a recovery disk. Are such disks available, and what do they cost?

In connection with this, I have a question concerning Windows ISO files. I see where they can be burned to a CD or DVD, or saved to a USB flash drive. Can they be saved to an external hard drive as well?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Level 15
13,019 12,963 1,698 3,935
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Restoring Windows 10 following a recovery process version rollback

Hi,

Have you upgraded Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 previously and successfully activated it?

If yes, you can do clean installation and free activation now. Windows 10 UEFI bootable USB can be made using Microsoft windows media creation tool.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

You can ONLY create BOOTABLE DVD/USB using Microsoft windows media creation tool. No point in saving or burning of ISO file into these media. You can follow above tutorial to make BOOTABLE media. You cannot use external hard drive for this purpose.

If no, you've pay and buy retail activation licence and installation media of Windows 10 from Microsoft and do the clean install.

Regards

Visruth
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation