cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mpina2
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

SMART Disk Hard Disk 301 after new HD installed

HP Recommended

I recieved the SMART 301 HD error and replaced the HD with a new Travelstar 750GN 700 RPM drive and when I try to run the recovery disks I continue to get the SMART 301 error even after running all the System Diagnostics. the following is the FAILURE ID: 94JLQF-6B8714-MFPX0K-60FM03 on HD 1

Is there a way to reset this the SMART Disk check so that I can reinstall my operating system?

Lapop Model G6-2225nr

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,372 959 2,183
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Bird914321,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP Pavilion g6-2225nr Notebook and  Error 301 after replacing the HDD. I am sorry to say that the Error 301 is an indication that your Hard Drive has either failed or is about to. I would reseat the HDD just to make sure it's not an easy fix. I would suggest you follow the instructions on this document here and run the hardware tests to verify a Hard Drive failure. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
anarquiles
2 2 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

im currently working in computer repair....

I have the same error with a hp14 J2M45LA#ABM 

The computer displays "smart hard disk error 301"
So I get one NEW 320 GB Toshiba Hard disk  from the stock we have here in the workshop

and shows the same error... so I take onother one NEW disk (320GB toshiba )

and there are no Smart capabilities availables on bios for testing..
and the error persist... so i figure out it was a BIOS Problem or something... then i make a BIOS Reset (i just remove the battery) But the problem persist...

it can't be possible 2 brand new disk fail...

but i tried last time with a used 500GB disk Western digital (this disk was a clone of another machine OS , so it haz windows 7 on it)
I turn on the machine and it BOOTS!!

then i figure out there are some hard disk  doest not work with this laptop BIOS models...

i hope this info will help 

(sorry for my bad english)

greetings

anarquiles
2 2 0 1
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i put the Brand New toshiba 320 hard disk  in another Computer (an HP desktop PC )and install windows 7 with no problems

AFTER THE FIRST boot, i took the disk and put it back to the laptop... and there wasn't error this time concern about SMART (the windows 7 crashed, but now i can boot with windows 8 install disk)... now the machine is working fine  with no problems...

iknow its weird.. but it work for me 
Greetings!

0 Kudos
finnster510
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the exact same problem after I removed the Seagate Medalist 320GB Thin that has Windows 8.1 on my HP Pavillion 10z-000 Touchsmart Notebook.  I didn't have any troubles with the old drive, but wanted to upgrade to a faster, more reliable SSD, I opted for a PNY CS1100 2.5" SATA 240GB SSD drive.  I also didn't want to run the slow and bloated Windows 8.1 OS on this notebook, because it only has 2GB of RAM and is using the 1Ghz AMD A4 1200 CPU with integrated Radeon Graphics so I selected to install Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop OS which also has support for the Touchscreen.  Now, this system boots up in less than 5 seconds and shutdown in less than 2 seconds!  I'm happy to have revived this notebook, that I gave to my kids who never used it because it was so slow and painful to use.

Anyway, the solution to eliminate the 301 Error on Boot POST is to go into the BIOS Settings (F10) and select the option to Load BIOS Defaults and then save and exit.  I hope this helps everyone who encounters this annoying problem.

jtadmin
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I realize I maybe a little late to the party but there is an issue with HP systems barking when there is actually not a problem.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04750687

Basically find your your harddrive model from device manager and download the updated firmware from the manufacturer. I moved a maybe 1 year old SSD from an old Dell optiplex i3 into a new HP i7 prodisk and had the 301 error. After all the driver updates, Intel Disk manager showed my disk at 1% life left. Once I downloaded the updated manufacturer firmware the error went away and life was good!
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation