Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I shutdown a hp envy x360 today at best buy and it shirt down perfectly 😮
HP Recommended

shutdown issue shows up when you have used the PC for more than an hour, which I dont think you did at the bestbuy 

thanks

HP Recommended
I just upgraded a third computer at work today (2 iso, 1 windows update). Flawless on all three. No HP's. I am beginning to take this personally. 🙂
HP Recommended

same here after the upgrade from win 7 to win 10 my desktop doesnt go to sleep or when i try to shut it down the CPU keeps on and screen go black

HP Recommended
Tas111, how long do you think the best buy one would be running? Of course it was running the whole day with the demo software running all day. Anyways my point being, new models with pre-installed windows 10 probably dont have that issue!
HP Recommended

All I know is that I went back to 8.1. I wont even think about getting windows 10 for a loooooooong time and this time i'll research to see if there are any new issues and if this problem is fixed. However going back to 8.1 was a pain the ass. I had to reset back to factory just to be able to log back into my account. So I strongly advise for anyone to back up :(. However I rather put up with windows 8.1 than having to hard reset my computer every 5 minutes to an hour. Especially with school starting, there is no way I'd be able to close up my laptop and open it whenver i needed it. I didnt really fix the problem and in the end i got rid of windows 10, but it feels FANTASTIC to know that my laptop can finally go to sleep. Feels like a huge boulder has been lifted off my shoulders. 

HP Recommended

Well, one question? Now that you were already on Windows 10 before, you can do a clean install and get activated. So, using the media creation tool, you did a clean install or clicked upgrade?

Sorry for the delayed response. All i did was the upgrade, from the microsoft website. I did NOT do the iso.

Still working fine...

However, I'm not so confident that I'm gonna tempt fate and start messing with my registry, sorry.

I've read through every single page of this thread and I still haven't seen someone who says "I converted to 8.1, then UPGRADED from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (NO clean install, NO ISO) and it didn't work"

As far as I've seen, everyone who's tried this has succeeded. Stop trying to have it make sense. Just TRY it...

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

Due to the fact that my laptop is slower and louder than usual, I'm worried that all these hard shutdowns might be starting to harm my laptop, and I may resort to converting back to 8.1 later today... Unfortunate, but I guess it's for the best for me. So, I'm going to have to rely on you guys to let me know on any Windows 10 updates that might resolve these problems.

How will I be able to update back to Windows 10?

HP Recommended

@eldavies wrote:

Well, one question? Now that you were already on Windows 10 before, you can do a clean install and get activated. So, using the media creation tool, you did a clean install or clicked upgrade?

Sorry for the delayed response. All i did was the upgrade, from the microsoft website. I did NOT do the iso.

Still working fine...

However, I'm not so confident that I'm gonna tempt fate and start messing with my registry, sorry.

I've read through every single page of this thread and I still haven't seen someone who says "I converted to 8.1, then UPGRADED from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (NO clean install, NO ISO) and it didn't work"

As far as I've seen, everyone who's tried this has succeeded. Stop trying to have it make sense. Just TRY it...

I have a Pavilion 15 that I updated clean from the ISO media. When it gets shutdown, it will fail to power off and keep its power light on (until you long-press to switch it off).

It never did this under Windows 8.

HP Recommended

@TechSecGuy3000 wrote:

@eldavies wrote:

Still working fine...

I have a Pavilion 15 that I updated clean from the ISO media. When it gets shutdown, it will fail to power off and keep its power light on (until you long-press to switch it off).

It never did this under Windows 8.

This is exactly an example of what I have been trying to say for quite some time...

Some people have had success (I can only count THREE on this forum) reverting - install from ISO - with perhaps a BIOS upgrade in-between if required. 

Some have not had success doing it.  

Because I manage a small infrastructure at a local school I have had the occasion of upgrading 3 machines to Win10.  The first, a Lenovo (from Win7 using the ISO).  The second, a Toshiba (upgrading from 8.1 using Windows Update).  The Third, a Toshiba (upgrading from 8.1 using the ISO).  All three were painless. 

I also updated my laptop (HP Pavillion 15 from Windows Update) and we know that result.  Everything works fine except the dreaded shutdown issues / sleep issues.

I also updated my wife's Acer (from 8.1 using Windows Upgrade with the SAME EXACT Intel Chipset as my HP).  No issues. 

It seems we have four options:

1.  Revert - Do all necessary updates including BIOS - reinstall from ISO 

2.  Ride it out and see if something comes down soon and before the drop dead date for reversion. 

3.  Clean install -- here you have a few choices (a-c below):

a. Revert -- install all needed updates including BIOS -- create a new partition on the HD -- reboot from ISO and clean install to the newly created partition and dual boot.   This is something I am actually considering.

b.  Revert -- install all needed updates including BIOS -- Upgrade from ISO by booting from CD or running setup within 8.1

c.   Install clean -- boot from CD -- wipe the drive and install into the primary partition (it will become partition 4 for those who know what I am talking about). Install all needed drivers after the fact (and there are bound to be some.  You will lose all HP driven utilities, etc.).  No CD key needed if the laptop is already registered (I wrote how to check on this late yesterday in command prompt).  

4.  Revert -- stay with 8.1 until a later date.

Some thoughts:

1.  Revert / update / install from ISO -- I still say this is bunk. I fail to see the difference.  In the multiple upgrades I have done there is no substantive difference in the file sizes or the process.  Both ISO and Windows Upgrade do the same thing.  There may be a sneak registry change here or there that alters things in different ways, but again, I cannot explain it.  I know some have had success doing it this way. Fine.  I cannot explain it and my experience tells me there is no difference.  Keep in mind that reversion has not been perfectly painless for some users.  I have reverted one machine and it was painless.  I do suggest you verify your recovery partition, etc. before reversion.  If you have a need to go back, and cannot get into Win8.1 and need to restore, boot and F11 in boot up.  

2.  Ride it out -- I know the concerns people are having due to hard shut-downs. I get it.  My machine is still under warranty so I am less concerned. Others may not be in that position. I do think a resolution will be coming by early October based on some reports I am reading.  However, you may not want to wait that long.  

3.  Clean install -- the one option that appeals to me is the clean install / wipe the drive. Install 10 clean with no HP overlays.  This is an advanced option.  Most tech nuts say that an OS upgrade is best done this way to eliminate all possible variables. However, it is not for those who are ignorant of disk partitions, installing drivers, etc. You will lose everything.  Back up first.  

4. Revert / Remain -- you may want to do this, though this is not desirable, I know. 

I don't know if this will help anyone.  Later today I will post some detail instructions for CLEAN INSTALLING into a newly created partition and blowing away all remnants of 7/8.1.  Again, this is an advanced option but not something to fear, especially if you have the recovery discs for your machine.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.