Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Luke_Duckwalker wrote:

I downgraded the Realtek Audio Driver to the 8.1 version, but I still see it in the powercfg -requests command... And the issue is still there. Think that I'll try downgrading to 8.1 some other drivers and see if that works.

Did you reboot after downgrading?

HP Recommended

Just an FYI for those of you that are leaning in the direction of the Realtek Audio Driver:  When I was having issues under Win10 (first time around) I ran:

powercfg -requests from a command prompt (admin).  I always had the above driver tagged in the list.  Annoyed me. 

So -- after reverting - update...update...update.. -- reinstalling to Win10 from ISO the powercfg list is empty (i.e. no issues).  My point is that the list is VERY different this time around than it was previously.

I do remember upgrading the audio driver while in Win 10 but I am sure I never tried to roll it back. 

HP Recommended
There are some drivers like HP wireless button driver, Intel Chipset driver, which are not so easy to uninstall or get replaced with the older versions. Once upon a time, I too was tired how to remove my IDT High Definition Audio driver, both from Control panel and then device manager, but it took me a restore to do that in the end, when I was having a Dell Inspiron N5010.
Hence, what I did now, with HP envy laptop is simply install the Windows 8.1 drivers in Windows 10(all deivers), except Intel HD, HP wireless button and Nvidia driver and then blocked the automatic installation of drivers through Windows update. In other words, all my drivers, except those 3, are of Windows 8.1.
NOTE: I have not installed, Intel Chipset, Intel Management and Intel Rapid Technology driver as of now, as I feel they are not that important and also as there are no exclaimation marks in my Device Manager. Hence I ignored those 3.(Not installed at all).

As of now,mI have done a restart aftr 4.5 hours, and everything looks fine from my end.
Again, its not necessary, only Realtek driver is causing problem. For my roomie, it was Intel mgmt, Intel rapid storage, Intel chipset along with Realtek(In his case, he installed every driver of Windows 10), whereas for me, Only Realtek driver was the one which I installed was of Windows 10.

It looks like Windows 8.1 drivers are more compatible with Windows 10 rather than the Windows 10 drivers. Looks funny, but i dont know why, with win 8.1 drivers in my freshly installed win 10, everything is working good for me.
HP Recommended

Well I restored to factory settings (Windows 8.1) then updated my BIOS and the drivers that HP recommended for updating (there was more in the list but they weren't under 'recommended' so I've left them for now). Then downloaded and installed Windows 10 through the creation tool. All appears to be fine so far, there's 2 more recommended drivers just appeared on the website since I've upgraded to W10 but I'm going to leave them for now and just see how things go. The only drivers I intend on downloading will be through the HP software rather than the website. So lets see how today go's...

HP Recommended

@Lee_K_00 wrote:

Well I restored to factory settings (Windows 8.1) then updated my BIOS and the drivers that HP recommended for updating (there was more in the list but they weren't under 'recommended' so I've left them for now). Then downloaded and installed Windows 10 through the creation tool. All appears to be fine so far, there's 2 more recommended drivers just appeared on the website since I've upgraded to W10 but I'm going to leave them for now and just see how things go. The only drivers I intend on downloading will be through the HP software rather than the website. So lets see how today go's...

I was actually told by an HPO Tech to NOT install drivers through the HP Software Assistant and to do it ONLY through the HP Drivers page on the Support website. I thought this was odd and his explanation was not very good (through a chat box, which is not the best way to discuss these kinds of things...).

At any rate, I have noticed that in the HP Support Software the drivers being offered are usually OLDER than the ones on the Driver and Support page of the HP website.  

HP Recommended

They are older when you look at the dates on the website but when you actually download and install them, then check them through device manager, they seem to be the exact same! lol. I don't know how that works!

When I eventually got the HP Assistant installed again, those 2 driver updates were in there (the same 2 that were listed as recommended on the website) so I've gone ahead and installed them. The website lists a few other drivers but their not under the "recommended" column so I'm just going to ignore them as long as everything go's ok. I'll only be installing updates through the assistant software. Up to now everything seems to be working fine, I'm just in the process of adding all of my software and files back. Glad I went for a clean install though more out of peace of mind than anything. It's probably just in my head but the laptop seems "fresher".

[EDIT]: As ridiculous as it sounds, I even feel better in myself now that this seems to be fixed! I've spent far too much time over the last two weeks trying to get this fixed, and again, as stupid as it sounds I feel like it's even had an effect on my sleeping pattern! I depend a lot on my laptop and I like things to be in good working order.

[EDIT 2]: One thing that is slightly worrying though is that I've just done a scan with powercfg/energy and it brings up 5 errors and 8 warnings! I'll add them below.

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device Name Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Detection Driver (USB)

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device Name Realtek Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C26 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_0BDA&PID_B001 Port Path 1,7

CPU Utilisation:Processor utilisation is high
The average processor utilisation during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilisation is very low. Review processor utilisation for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilisation.
Average Utilisation (%) 17.87

Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

Device Drivers:
Devices with missing or misconfigured drivers can increase power consumption.
Device Name Unknown Device Device ID ACPI\HPQ6007\3&11583659&0 Device Status 0x1802400 Device Problem Code 0x1c

Any advice!?
HP Recommended

@Lee_K_00 wrote:

[EDIT]: As ridiculous as it sounds, I even feel better in myself now that this seems to be fixed! I've spent far too much time over the last two weeks trying to get this fixed, and again, as stupid as it sounds I feel like it's even had an effect on my sleeping pattern! I depend a lot on my laptop and I like things to be in good working order.

I know what you mean!  THREE weeks.  Fix, change, set this, set that, reboot, groan, cry, yell, curse out HP, reboot, groan some more, restart, YELL LOUDLY, kick the dog, set laptop to SLEEP to only CRY some more...

...revert, update, reboot, update, reboot, update, reboot, update BIOS, reboot, download, upgrade....H-A-P-P-I-E-R dog. 🙂

My whole life is tied to two devices.  My laptop and my Android phone (Note 4).  I never leave home w/o one of them. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hahaha! Kick the dog! I guess this is how new laptops with W10 pre-installed seem to be working ok straight away (they'd have to be really for them to sell). But HP / Microsoft should put a big warning on anyone who's wanting to do an upgrade!

Have a look at those errors I just posted. Got any suggestions?

HP Recommended

@Lee_K_00 wrote:

Have a look at those errors I just posted. Got any suggestions?

First, can you still enter sleep w/o issue? If so...

Second, ignore them.  Chances are good you would not even know about that command line item w/o all the issues we have had upgrading to 10. 

Third, if it is preventing sleep then Google the CRITICAL items to see what resolutions are out there. 

HP Recommended

Yeah everything seems to be running ok up to now! So that's what I had intended on doing anyways, just ignoring them at least for now. I know what a few of them are and I think it's just a case of needing further Windows 10 updates which will hopefully come in time. But at the moment they don't seem to be causing any trouble!

I never thought I'd say this but it looks like the issue has been resolved! That's if your using an HP Pavillion 15 and choose to go down the same route. Thanks for all the help on here guys it's been much appreciated! Just a shame it took so long and we had to come up with a fix ourselves!

Anyways I shall be back later on and the next few days just to keep everyone updated.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.