Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Michaël wrote:

Yes, when you upgrade to Windows 10 a new driver is automatically installed. That's why you need to revert to the older driver to resolve the issue.

That is not necessarily true.  I upgraded to Win 10 and had the working driver from the beginning.  I never reverted.  It was already there (version 9.xxx)

HP Recommended

@re4med wrote:

@Michaël wrote:

Yes, when you upgrade to Windows 10 a new driver is automatically installed. That's why you need to revert to the older driver to resolve the issue.

That is not necessarily true.  I upgraded to Win 10 and had the working driver from the beginning.  I never reverted.  It was already there (version 9.xxx)

That's only when you upgraded via the Media Creation Tool, right?

Seems the reason that works is that it doesn't force a driver upgrade.

HP Recommended

Thank you to all who put so much time into this issue.  I was never able to "roll back", and I did have some error issues when on HP downloading the MEI (saying that system was unable to start some applications and will exit) but ending up saying installed.  Rebooted.  I did go back and check my device manager/system devices and it says its the 9. 5... Rebooted and seems to be going to sleep after being on for awhile and coming back on with a click.  Fingers crossed, but time will tell.  Again, can not begin to thank those of you who literally walked me thru the steps.  Couldn't have done it without you! And MDH also thanks all of you!!!

HP Recommended

So is this a working fix now? I haven't checked in a couple of days here because I'd given up hope.

On the site when I check under drivers for my model Pavilion 15 p189na, I only see two drivers under chipset, but none which say " Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) "

They have Intel trusted execution engine interface and Intel chipset installation utility.

HP Recommended

@andyh1991 wrote:

So is this a working fix now? I haven't checked in a couple of days here because I'd given up hope.

On the site when I check under drivers for my model Pavilion 15 p189na, I only see two drivers under chipset, but none which say " Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) "

They have Intel trusted execution engine interface and Intel chipset installation utility.

Were you checking under 8.1?  

HP Recommended

Checked under both 😞

HP Recommended
Yep, finally a working fix!

Follow the steps I posted. If HP doesn't list the driver for you, you can download directly from Intel.

Good luck! 🙂
HP Recommended

Well, I've followed the steps there. I did just download the files for the engine thing from intel with the ones you hotlinked since my HP site didn't have them there, and it's allowed me to restart a couple of times now, not tried sleep yet. I hope it works, I'll give it a couple of days before I come back and say it's a solution.

Followed the touchpad settings fix too and hope that sticks. When I last reinstalled, it fixed it for a week or so then recently reverted back 😕

And I also have been having dropouts on my wifi but don't have an intel wireless card, it's realtek i think, and it might just be a problem with my ISP.

But thanks, I'll report back in a couple of days, thanks everyone

HP Recommended

Glad to hear the step-by-step walkthrough worked for you.  Hopefully it solves your device's issues!

HP Recommended
I followed DanG82's solution and my laptop just correctly shutdown for the first time since I installed Windows 10. Thank you so much!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.