Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp noteboo - 15 -f337wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

The home keys, i.e., asdf  jkl’ don’t work.  G and H  do work, but technically they are not home keys.  I took my laptop to Microsoft (it was purchased in the USA Aug 2015)  they said its not  a software problem and checked my driver.  I didn’t spill anything on it, but I cleaned the keys anyway.  I’m looking for a local Hewlett Packard in Sydney Australia where I will be until mar 26.  Can you help me solve this typing probem or help me find hp?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I see there's an hp in rhodes.  do you know if i take a train there, will they look at my laptop, or is it just an executive office?

HP Recommended

Hi @DOREEN8,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand some of the keys on the keyboard not working. I'll be delighted to assist you with this,

Kudos to you for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

First off, we need to establish if the issue is hardware or software related. In order to do this please perform a few steps.Let’s do a hard reset first.

Steps:

• Power down the computer and unplug the charger. Then remove the battery only if it is a removable one.
  • Hold down the power button of the unit for 15 seconds to discharge static electrical charges inside the machine.
  • Replace the battery and reconnect the charger.

Then we need to check in the command prompt outside of windows to see if all the keyboard characters work correctly to isolate the issue correctly to a hardware or software failure.

Steps to do it:

• Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.
  • It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “ and  “command prompt”
  • Type all the keyboard characters in this black window especially the keys that do not work correctly.
  • If F11 does not take you to recovery manager, please keep tapping the “ESC” gently several times the instant you power on the unit. It takes you to the startup menu and you could press F11 from there to go to recovery manager.

For more details, click here

If the issue still persists, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for available service options. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried f11 which is turning mute on and off.  tried esc but nothing happened.  tried the link support, but reached a dead end after completing all their questions.  i'm not that computer savvy.  do you know if someone will help if i pop on a train to rhodes, sydney??

HP Recommended

should have added, microsoft store established its not software problem.  my battery is not accessible without opening the laptop

HP Recommended

Hi @DOREEN8,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue with some of the keys on the keyboard are not working. This definitely indicates an hardware failure. I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. Link to contact HP: Click here

Answering to your question, since the issue has been diagnosed as a hardware failure, only option would be to have the unit picked up for repair or have the part replaced from one ot the nearest HP service center. This can be done only by contacting our HP phone support not by going to the service center.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

we are overseas traveling from the usa and so dont use a cell because of roaming.  i went to a phone box, but i got someone from another planet who transferred me to a recording prompt, 1 for NSW etc.  tried 4 times then gave up.  we'll be back in the states early May so i guess i'll keep using my flip screen keyboard feature until then.  very disappointed though in HPs support.

HP Recommended

Hi @DOREEN8,

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Respectfully, wouldn't HP support be able to provide support on any HP product, regardless of what country it was purchased in?  Wouldn't the solution to this type of problem (a kayboard) be the same, regardless of the manufacturer since all laptops have a keyboard?

Regardless, Jeffhelp from California contacted me asking the personal ID questions.  I responed with the answers  then got an email that I have another secure message.  There's no secure message at his link.  I emailed alerting him of this, but have had no response.  My issue remains.

HP Recommended

Heard from jeff.  He's passing the info to colleagues, said my warranty expired 3 months ago and parts availability varies from country to country.  Hope his colleagues are more helpful!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.